Thursday, July 28, 2011

Region 4A -CALABARZON (Quezon & Rizal)

Quezon - Land Of A Thousand Colors

        The province of Quezon, flocked for a festival and venerated for a volcano, is Metropolitan Manila’s gateway to Southern Luzon and the Bicol Region. It is an elongated province east of Manila and the downward chain of Luzon provinces. Although close to the metropolis, it has retained many of its legacies, traditions, and relics.

        Mount Banahaw is a 7,382-foot extinct volcano, famous for its mystical attributes. Unique religious rites are held during the Holy Week by pilgrims who believe that Christ walked on this mountain. Thousands of people flock to the site at Lent, and as many as 68 registered religious sects hold annual rituals. The mountain endowed with majestic beauty is also a favorite of amulet hunters. Found here is Kinabuhayan, believed to have been where Christ spent his Calvary. Ina ng Awa, near Kinabuhayan and located at the foot of Mt. Banahaw, is revered as another mystical site.

        The St. Michael the Archangel Minor Basilica in Tayabas, one of the oldest churches in the country, was first built in 1585 and repaired in 1590 using nipa and palm. In 1600, bricks were used to renovate the site.

        Bird Island in Polillo is a coral formation that became an island and is now a sanctuary for different species of birds to fly to, from neighboring areas. Lamon Bay, found in the northern part, is a very rich fishing ground and home to various living corals. Puting Buhangin Beach in Pagbilao Grande is a pure white sand beach with crystal clear and calm waters and a small cave at the end. It is a favorite place among the townsfolk, especially during summer.

    In the western municipalities of Atimonan, Pagbilao, and Padre Burgos, the Quezon National Park is located. It is 983 hectares of an intricate system of caves, waterfalls, springs, creeks, gorges, and ravines against a quaint backdrop of lush greenery.

        Celebrated every 15th of May, Pahiyas is considered as one of the Philippines’ best harvest festivals. It is deeply rooted in the traditional thanksgiving celebration for a bountiful harvest. Decorations called “Kiping,” leaf-shaped and multi-colored rice paste wafers, are the main features of the Pahiyas, which gained national, as well as international, renown for Lucban. It is observed in the towns of Lucban, Candelaria, Tayabas, Sariaya, Tiaong, and Lucena City in honor of San Isidro Labrador, the patron saint of farmers.

        The relatively short distance between Quezon and Metro Manila make the attractions in the province even more inviting, especially for the towns located in the western part. And because Quezon is also a part of the route to the Bicol Region, both by bus and by train, its quaint little towns, which serve as stop-over points for travelers, can benefit much in terms of revenue generation through accommodation and dining establishments.

        In terms of land area, Quezon is one of the biggest provinces in the Southern Tagalog region. It spreads over 870,660 hectares along the stretch of the Japan-Philippine Highway, which links Luzon to Visayas and Mindanao. Its boundaries extend as far as the province of Aurora in the north and Camarines Sur in the south. It is bounded on the west by the provinces of Aurora, Nueva Ecija, Bulacan, Rizal, Laguna, and Batangas and on the southeast by Camarines Norte and Camarines Sur.

T        he province enjoys mild tropical climate and has two pronounced seasons, the dry-cold and dry-warm climate and the cold moist and cold dry climate. The lack of higher mountainous barriers makes some coastal areas prone to the effects of tropical depressions.

        The people’s main sources of livelihood range from land and sea agricultural cultivation to home industries which have lately taken a turn toward the export-oriented light to heavy industries, with the planning and construction of economic zones.

Language & Dialects
Tagalog is widely spoken by the populace, with the characteristic lilt common to the locate.

Political Subdivision
        The province is composed of 41 towns and one highly urbanized city, which is Lucena City. The province has 1,248 barangays, which include the barangay of Lucena City.


           At one time, Quezon was under the jurisdiction of various provinces. In 1858, the central portion was under the authority of Batangas. The northern portion was divided between Laguna and Nueva Ecija while the other portion was divided between the provinces of Mindoro, Marinduque, and Camarines.

        In 1591, Tayabas was created into a province under the name of Kalilayan. On 12 March 1902, the civil government was established in Tayabas with Lucena as its capital. On 12 June 1902, the district of Principe, formerly under Nueva Ecija, and the district of Infanta, including Polillo, was annexed to Tayabas.

        Tayabas was among the first provinces to rise up in arms against Spain. At the close of Filipino-American hostilities, a civil government was established in the province in 1901, and Lucena was appointed the capital.

        On 7 September 1946, Tayabas was renamed Quezon Province in honor of President Manuel L. Quezon, president of the Philippine Commonwealth, who hailed from the town of Baler. Later, in 1951, a northern municipality, Aurora, was created into a subprovince, and named in honor of the President’s spouse, Doña Aurora Quezon.

Tourist Attractions:

Malagunlong Bridge.
Built by the Spanish colonizers, this bridge is considered the oldest one in town. However, it is not clear whether it was constructed before or after the town church was built in 1585. It is located in Tayabas, Quezon.

Alitao and Malaoa Bridges.
Both are century-old and still passable. They are located in Tayabas, Quezon.

Kutang San Diego (Spanish Fort).
It is the only remaining structure built under the supervision of Franciscans during the latter part of the 18th century. It was erected to help guard the town against sea pirates. The fort is located in the town proper of Gumaca, near the pier.

Iskong Bantay Watchtower.
It was built by the Spanish authorities as a watchtower to warn the townsfolk of Atimonan of impending pirate attacks. It is located in Atimonan town proper.

San Antonio de Alcala Park.
Named after the town‘s patron saint, the park features a promenade area facing Lamon bay and the neighboring island of Alabat. The park is located just before the approach to the town proper of Gumaca.

Dumagat Settlement.
There are four settlements, namely: Dinigman Settlement at Barangay Canaway, Lamutan Settlement at Barangay Lamutan, Tamala Settlement at Barangay San Marcelino, and Cynthia Village of Barangay Umiray. These settlements are under the administration and supervision of the Local Government, Office for Southern Cultural Communities (OSCC) of Social Services and Development. They are located in Sitio Malatunglan, General Nakar, Quezon.

Gintong Yaman ng Quezon Museum.
The museum houses a collection of the memorabilia of former President Manuel L. Quezon. A large section of the museum contains the personal belongings of prominent men of the province. It is located at the Provincial Health Bldg., Capitol Compound, Lucena City.

Quezon National Park.
With an area of about 9,830,765 hectares, it has an intricate system of caves, waterfalls, springs, creeks, gorges, and ravines against a quaint backdrop of lush greenery. Local folks say that the park is full of flora and fauna from butterflies to birds and monkeys tugging along their young, while crossing the street. Trees are so tall and huge that the zigzag road is relatively dark. The park is also the site of Pinagbanderahan, a place where the Filipino Revolutionaries planted the Philippine flag in their fight against the Spanish colonizers. Quezon National Park encompasses the western municipalities of Atimonan, Pagbilao, and Padre Burgos. It can be reached by walking for about one hour from the road to the top of a ridge.

This is the site where members of religious sects of Mt. Banahaw believe Christ spent His Calvary. Thousands of pilgrims, the number of which may reach to 30,000, come to this area to fulfill their vows or be healed of their afflictions. What can be found here are the rocks where Christ was believed to have been tied (Pinaggapusan). His footprints are embedded on a rock, and a cold and damp rock at the entrance of a cave is said to have curing power. Kinabuhayan is located in Barangay Kinabuhayan, Dolores, Quezon.

Durungawan, Mt. Banahaw.
Having the strength of going up higher at Mt. Banahaw, one can see for himself the crowning glory of the holy mountain’s peak called “Durungawan” – a window place on the mountain’s top where one can gaze at the valleys, towns, and city surrounding the sacred mountain. It is from there that one can feel the ultimate satisfaction of having gone up the mountain. Durungawan is located in Dolores, Quezon.

Ina Ng Awa & Sta Lucia
Situated near Kinabuhayan, at the foot of Mt. Banahaw, Ina ng Awa is also believed to be mystical. The mystical caves are located in this area. Many small caves and rock shelters were given Biblical names and some also serve as altars for the sects. Some, like the Santong Husgado Cave, test the purity of the spirit of those who enter. The ones with clean spirit can easily pass through and the unclean ones are overcome by rocks inside the cave, preventing them from continuing. Ina ng Awa is located in Barangay Sta. Lucia, Dolores, Quezon.

Perez Park.
The park consists of seven hectares of fully developed and well-maintained area located at the heart of Lucena City, the provincial capital. It features a children’s playground, a beautifully landscaped garden, a man-made cave, and a large area for outdoor dancing. It is located at the Capitol Compound, Lucena City, Quezon.

It is a monument at the heart of the National Forest Park built in 1938 under the commonwealth government. This is called Pinagbanderahan for its historic role during World War II. It is a perfect vantage point to view Mt. Banahaw, the islands of Marinduque and Mindoro, as well as the major towns and cities of Quezon, like Lucena, Pagbilao, and Tayabas. It is located in Barangay Malinao Ilaya, Atimonan, Quezon.

Balagtas Sports Complex.
It provides adequate space for recreational activities. It is located at Zone IV – Poblacion, Atimonan, Quezon.

Hunters ROTC Veterans Park.
It is a park located at the gateway of the Poblacion, built in memory of the brave Atimonan soldiers who fought during the Japanese war. It is located in Barangay Tagbakin, Atimonan, Quezon.

Roman Catholic Park.
It is a mini-park located in front of the Roman Catholic Church in Barangay Zone IV – Poblacion, Atimonan, Quezon.

Bonifacio Park - located  in Lucban, Quezon.

Rizal Park.
Formerly known as Plaza dela Revolution, it is one of the finest masterpieces of art in the country. The monument stands as a magnificent sculpture, made in perfect proportion as viewed from any angle. It illustrates the skillful talent of the famous Lucbanin artist, Ishmael Villaseñor, who was widely popular in international expositions during those days. Built in 1915, the park is still the favorite place for relaxation. It is located in Lucban, Quezon.

Rizal Monument in Sariaya

Rizal Monument in Rizal Hill

Manuel L. Quezon Monument.

It was erected in memory of the First President of the Philippine Commonwealth, who is known as “Ama ng Wikang Filipino” in support to his full measure of devotion and service to the cause of Philippine independence from the United States. It is located at the Perez Park, Lucena City, Quezon.

Doña Aurora Dimayuga Park, San Antonio, Quezon

Pagbilao Plaza

Tayabas ,Quezon Municipal Hall

Sariaya ,Quezon Municipal Hall

Sariaya ,Quezon Municipal - Art Deco Hall

Lucban ,Quezon Municipal Hall

Quezon Provincial Capitol.
This provincial government site of Quezon Province was built on a seven-hectare lot donated in 1908 by its former Governor, Don Felimon E. Perez.

Quezon Convention Center

Add caption

Kalilayan Center
Constructed at the back of the Governor’s Mansion, it is frequently used as venue for various cultural and tourism activities. The motif was designated by Ugu Bigyan, a well-known mural and pottery artist, depicting the Pahiyas festivals of Quezon Province.

Dalahican Market

Dalahican Fishing Port

MSCT Historical Gallery

Pagbilao Power Station

Mauban Power Plant

Escudero Hydroelectric Power

Casa Comminidad de Tayabas

La Dona Ana Casa

Governor’s Mansion.
This is the official residence of the past governors of the province and is now used as guesthouse for visitors. It is situated in front of the Perez Park, overlooking the impressive plaza. It is located in Lucena City, Quezon

Haunted House in Tiaong

Lucban Cemetery & Chapel

Tayabas Cemetery

St. Michael the Archangel Minor Basilica.
One of the oldest churches in the century, it was first built in 1585 and repaired in 1590 using nipa and palm. In 1600, they used bricks. The church was destroyed by an earthquake in 1743 and later rebuilt and made bigger in 1856. It is located in Tayabas, Quezon.

Atimonan Church.
This church was first built in 1640 but was burned during an invasion. Rebuilt in 1642, it was partially destroyed again by fire. During the Second World War, the whole town, including the church, was leveled off by bombings. Reconstruction of the church started in 1979. It is located in Atimonan town proper.

Cathedral of San Diego de Alcala  (San Diego de Alcala Fortress)
Recognized by the National Historical Commission as a national treasure in 1981, this fortress was constructed by the Spaniards under the leadership of Franciscan Father Francisco Coste. Its first establishment was in 1582, on its present site. It was transferred to Silangan in the island of Alabat in 1638. It was burned by the Dutch forces in 1665; reconstructed and beautified in 1846. It is known as the biggest and oldest Catholic Church in the province of Quezon.  It is located in Gumaca, Quezon.

Church of Saint Louis of Toulouse.
The first church was built in 1593 but was ruined in 1629. The second church was constructed between 1630 and 1640 but was razed by a fire in 1733. The present church was completed in 1738, and its interiors, in 1743. It was partly destroyed during the Second World War and the Philippine Historical Conservation Society completed its renovation in 1966. The church is surrounded by gardens and grottos, and by old stone walls regarded locally as the “quince-quince.” It is located in Lucban, Quezon.

Our Lady of Sorrows Shrine.
The famous “pangkuan” is held every Friday of the week. Many people from the neighboring towns come to Dolores to attend the mass in honor of the Birhen Dolorosa. It is also known for the yearly “Viernes de Dolores” which falls either in March or April. It features the holy Mass and the “Turumba,” a dance praising the town’s patron saint. After the procession, most of the pilgrims proceed to the river or a resort for a refreshing bath of cold water. The shrine is located in Dolores town proper.

Parish Church of Saint Francis de Assisi.
The first church was built in 1599. The second church, built in 1965, was replaced by a third in 1641. In 1703, the town was transferred to Lumang Bayan but the earthquakes and floods of 1743 destroyed the church and the town, and caused the people to transfer to the present site. The present church was built in 1748. It is located in Sariaya town proper.

St. Ferdinand Cathedral.
It is located in the heart of Lucena City. Founded on March 1, 1881, the Parish Church of St. Ferdinand, now St. Ferdinand Cathedral, was constructed from May 1882 to July of 1884. On May 24, 1887, the newly built church was gutted down by fire and had to be reconstructed six months after. It is located in Lucena City, Quezon.

Other Churches in Quezon:



St. John the Baptist, Tiaong, Quezon



Church of Candelaria, Quezon


Church of Mauban, Quezon


Church of San Antonio, Quezon


Sta Catalina de Alexandria, Pagbilao, Quezon


Rosary Hill Shrine (Kamay ni Jesus)

Garden of Eden / Noah's Ark-Building-Park-Lucban-Quezon-Philippines

Buhay na Kubol
A cultural practice similar to the Moriones Festival of Marinduque is being observed every Holy Week. It starts with the Boling-Boling Festival before the Holy Week; participated in by residents dressed in soldiers’ attire used during the time of Jesus. The culminating event is the presentation of the 13 Stations of the Cross on Good Friday. It is located in General Luna, Quezon.


Lamon Bay.
It is a body of water connecting the northern part of Quezon to the Pacific Ociean. It bounds the coastal towns of Atimonan, Gumaca, Plaridel, Lopez, and Calauag, and the islands of Alabat. It is a rich fishing ground and the home of various living corals. Most parts of the bay consist of gray sand, some parts are filled with rocks, and other living corals. It is gradually sloping to the extend that, during low tide, the water level is low enough to allow one to walk as far as five hundred meters from the shore. The beaches in the towns of Gumaca and Plaridel are sandy and ideal for swimming. In some parts of the bay, about ten feet from the beach front, are living corals. The town of Lopez has the best colonies of corals which are located just about15 minutes by boat from the shore. Lamon Bay is located at the northern part of Quezon.

Tayabas Bay (Sariaya Area).
The area of Tayabas Bay in Sariaya is developed because of the presence of several large beach resorts. The sand is gray and the water level is gradually sloping. It is located in Sariaya, Quezon.

Mt. Banahaw. This 7,382-foot extinct volcano is famous for its mystical attributes. Unique religious rites are held during Holy Week by pilgrims who believe that Christ walked on this mountain. There are approximately 66 to 68 registered religious sects whose members hold rituals on Holy Week. The mountain is also a favorite site of amulet hunters. Mt. Banahaw is located at the western part of Quezon.

Atimonan Seawall

Ro-ro to Alabat (Atimonan)

Habingan, Atimonan Quezon

Quipot Bridge, Pagbilao, Quezon

Ma-init Hot Spring, Atimonan, Quezon

Hanging Bridge to Ma-init Hot Spring

Daraitan River

Zigzag Road
(also referred to as Bitukang Manoko or Eme Road). Located in the middle of the Quezon National Park, its curves are so tight and the road so steep that vehicles have to literally inch their way up. Around the roadsides are lush vegetation of the Quezon National Park.

Located along the main highway, the sculpture of Sirena is an interesting sight for the motorists. The Sirena (Mermaid) is a copy of the sculpture of Little Mermaid in Denmark. Like the one in Denmark, it also sits on top of a big boulder. It is located along the beach of Lamon Bay near the Maharlika Highway, Atimonan, Quezon.

Manlalayes Lakes and Gunao Lake.
These lakes are the main sources of fresh fish, like tilapia, hito, and dalag. Visitors can buy fresh fish at reasonable prices. They are located in Dolores, Quezon.

Tikub Lake.
About two kilometers in diameter and 75 meters deep, Tikob Lake lies on the crater of an extinct volcano. Thick foliage surrounds the lake. It is located in Tiaong, Quezon.

Cristalino Falls, Mt. Banahaw
It is a few meters south of Santos Collegio, where crystal clear water can soothe one’s thirst after climbing a few slopes up. The falls is located in Dolores, Quezon.

Santos Collegio (Kubli Spring)
About 100 meters from Kinabuhayan spring, it is a place where one can bathe from sprinkles of tiny droplets of water from mountain springs, as fresh as dewdrops pouring down from the mountain slides. It is located in Dolores, Quezon.

Sta. Lucia Falls.
Before going directly to the falls, an adventurous tourist can detour to a winding footpath leading to “Ina ng Awa,” a place of religious worship where many members of religious sects pray for guidance from the Virgin Mary. 267 steps going down to Sta. Lucia falls, one can hear the murmur of the cascading water as it quietly settles into a tranquil basin, truly nature as its best. The falls is located in Dolores, Quezon.

Bantakay Falls 
It is the biggest of the three falls located in Barangay Mapalad in Real. It has about 100 feet of cascading water.

Bantakay Falls


Kagbuho Falls



Alitap Waterfalls








Malusak Cave.
It is probably the longest cave in Atimonan, with a clearance of more or less 2 feet in height. It is located in Barangay Malusak, Atimonan, Quezon.

Anilon Cave.
It is a small islet or a large rock, which also looks like a land bridge with a small cave where swimmers can pass through from one end to the other. It is located in Anilon, Burdeos, Quezon.


Virgin Island or Kwebang Lampas


Sta. Milagrosa Nursery Cave, Calaug, Quezon





Puting Bato Cave #1, Burdeos, Quezon


Puting Bato Cave #2, Burdeos, Quezon


Husgado Cave, Dolores, Quezon

Mt. Banahaw

Stairway to Mt. Banahaw



Mt. Masalukot, Dolores, Quezon

Padre Burgos Submarine Garden.
It is a shallow coral area. Starfish of several kinds, sea cucumbers, sea urchins, jellyfish, and gorgonians abound. The area is good for snorkeling. It is located in Padre Burgos, Quezon.

D and G Farms.
The site is a family farm, which breeds pigs, fighting cocks, orchids, and fruit trees. A river near it is also being developed to become a natural swimming pool. Those who may want to visit the piggery will have to take a bath for quarantine reasons. The farm is located in Barangay Masalakot 1, Candelaria, Quezon

Minasawa Bird Sanctuary.
The island is just off the town of Jomalig but still part of Burdeos. The 4.5-hectare island was established as a sanctuary by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources to protect the bird population in the area. At present, there are about five species of birds, which are found in the island; the Nutmeg Imperial Pigeon (600), Black Naped Oriole (600), Rufus Night Heron (thousands), Amusling (thousand), and Swifts (50). It is located in Burdeos/Patnanungan; office is in Real.

Bird Island.
It was a coral formation, which became an island. The island is now a sanctuary for the birds, which fly over the main island of Polillo and its neighboring areas. Every afternoon, groups of birds gather in the sky and head towards the island to spend the night there. Bird Island is located in Polillo Island, Quezon.

Munting Malaguinoan Island.
In the smaller of the two Malaguinoan Islands, an image of the Blessed Virgin Mary stands. The image of the kneeling Mary was found out of a growing stone. Every boat that passes near the island pays homage to the image to have a safe journey. It is located in Malaguinoan, Burdeos, Quezon.

Pagbilao Grande.
It is a group of island located at the Tayabas Bay area where there are white sand beaches and rich fishing grounds. This is also the site of Tulay Buhangin where sand dunes connect the islets of Padre Burgos during low tide. It is located in Tayabas Bay, near the coast of Pagbilao.


Talabaan Islands.
These are two islands located off the shore of Padre Burgos town. The bigger of the two, Malaking Talabaan, is a favorite jump-off point to the beaches of Padre Burgos and the neighboring town of Pagbilao. The smaller island, Maliit na Talabaan, is a rock formation jutting out of the sea. What makes the island unique is that the rocks seem to have been curiously arranged and piled.

Mag-Asawang Bato.
The Mag-asawang Bato are two pieces of big boulders jutting out of the sea. During low tide, the land where the stones stand are exposed so that people can walk over them. The boulders are located off the coast of Padre Burgos.

Tulay Buhangin Island.
The island is one of the favorite areas of vacationers who go to Padre Burgos. Although one beachfront has been damaged, other parts of the island are still good for swimming. It is located in Padre Burgos, Quezon.

Baluti Island.
Located about three kilometers from the town port of Real, Baluti island covers an area of about 23 hectares. A wide river separates the island, which is a part of the mainland. Many parts of the island are covered with pine trees, instead of coconut trees. The beach areas are good for swimming. The water is relatively clear and the gray sand is fine. A slight drop-off is located just about 10 meters from the beachfront. It is located off the coast of Real.

Bakaw-Bakaw Island.
The island is about one hectare in size and filled with mangroves, talisay trees, and other shrubs. The beach is gently sloping and it has light brown sand and crushed shells. The deeper portion is dotted with isolated coral beds. It is located in Burdeos, Quezon.

Binobombonan Island.
The island has an area of one hectare and is still uninhabited. It is circular in shape and ringed by fine white sand. The sand level gradually slopes and the water is very clear. The land is densed forested. Not far from the island is a good spot for snorkeling and diving.

Ikulong Island.
The island is about 15 hectares in size and filled with coconut trees. Like the other islands, it has white sand. It is located in Burdeos,Quezon.

Katakian Island.
The sand on the beach is brown, and gently sloping. The beach is about 500 meters long and 20 meters wide. A wide area of coral reef is located near the island. It is located in Patnanungan.

Patayan Island.
Part of the Pagbilao Grande Islands, this is where the Tulay Buhangin (Sand Bridge) is located. People say that Patayan Island was named from the site where the young men of the town were killed by pirates during the olden times. This is the island to which one end of the Tulay Buhangin is connected. The island has a beach known for its smooth stones. The island is located in Pagbilao Grande, Pagbilao, Quezon.

Anilon Island.
The island is about 15 hectares in area and the white sand beach on one side of the island is about one kilometer long and 25 meters wide. During low tide, one end of the island reveals a long stretch of sand which looks like a sand bridge. It is located in Burdeos, Quezon.

Malaking Malaguinoan Island.
The bigger one of the two Malaguinoan islands, it is about 40 hectares in area. Several white sand beaches are located along its coast. It is located in Burdeos, Quezon.

Puting Bato.
The major attractions of Puting Bato are its cliff walls, which look like limestone cliffs of North Palawan. Aside from the walls, there are small caves. Small isolated beaches, which are good for swimming, can also be found. Rock formations, which look like umbrellas, abound in the area. It is located in Barangay Puting Bato, Burdeos, Quezon.

Anawan Island.
Although the beaches in Anawan are good, they are very far from the town pier. The distance is about 1.8 nautical miles. Its land area is about 18 hectares.

Libjo Beach.
The beach is about two kilometers long, 30 meters wide, and has been the favorite picnic area of many locals especially during the summer months. The sand is fine and light gray in color. The drop-off is about 20 meters from the shore. It is located in Barangay Libjo, Infanta, Quezon.

Pamplona Beach.
The beach is about three kilometers long and 40 meters wide. Parts of the area have gray sand, smooth pebbles, and rocks. Rocks with curious formations are also present at one end of the beach. A spring with cold water can be found near these rock formations. It is located in General Nakar, Quezon.

San Francisco Beach.
The beach is about one kilometer long and 25 meters wide. The color of the sand is light brown and the ocean floor slopes gradually. The area is a favorite picnic ground of the people of Polillo. It is located in Barangay Sibulan, Polillo, Quezon.

Puting Buhangin Beach.
Located in the Pagbilao Grande area, this pure white sand beach, with crystal-clear and calm water, is a favorite place in Pagbilao during the summer months. The white sand beach is about 70 meters long and 10 meters wide. A small cave is found at one end of the beach. It is located at Pagbilao Grande, Pagbilao, Quezon.

Talisoy Beach.
The beach is one of the popular areas in the island for tourists. Because of the clear water, the wide area of the beach, and the sudden drop-off, professional swimmers prefer the area. It is located in Jomalig, Quezon.


Sariaya Beach


Carlos Beach


Agta Beach


Borawan Island Beach


Dampalitan Island Beach



Silangang Nayon


Batis Aramin



Villa Elma




Mt. Banahaw Mountain Climbing
(March; western part of Quezon – Sariaya, Lucban, Tayabas & Dolores). Trekking the scenic Mt. Banahaw is a memorable experience.

Feast of San Isidro Labrador / Pahiyas Festival
(May 11-15). San Isidro is the patron saint of farmers. His feast day is celebrated to give thanks for a bountiful harvest that the farmers had received. With sincerity and flamboyance, the people of Lucban celebrate San Isidro’s feast day with varied festivities all over town, topped by the religious procession along the street where the houses are all decorated with native “pahiyas” (décor) called “kiping,” “suman,, rice cakes, fruits and vegetables, rice grains and rice stalks, beautiful and rare flowers and ferns, native lanterns, even “lechon.”

Feast of San Isidro / Agawan sa Sariaya
(May 11-15; Sariaya, Quezon). It is almost the same as the one held in Lucban, only the decoration or Pahiyas consists of fruits, vegetables, candies, breads, and other food either thrown or given to people after the patron saint has passed them. Joyous preparations for the feast of Saint Isidro de Labrador, patron saint of farmers and laborers, begins on the eve of May 14. The best of their crops are hung on the windows, walls, arenas, and young bamboo trees called “Bagakays.” As soon as the procession of the patron saint passes a decorated house, people are allowed to get its crop decor.

Feast of San Isidro / Balwarte sa Gumaca
(May 15; Gumaca, Quezon). This festival is different from Pahiyas sa Lucban – balwarte or arches are decorated with various agricultural products like bananas, vegetables, buco, pineapple, and root crops. These crop decor are pulled out by the people after the patron saint has passed. The three most beautifully decorated balwartes are given prizes.

Feast of San Isidro / Mayohan sa Tayabas
(May 12-15; Tayabas, Quezon). It is similar to the one in Lucban but less grandiose. It started in 1998 so it is only starting to pick up. Several programs are held from May 12 to 14 and the parade is held on the 15th. Contests on the re-enactment of different cultural practices like Sunduan, Santa Cruzan, and Galahan are held with huge prizes at stake. Hagisan ng suman is done on the 15th of May.

Pasayahan sa Lucena.
It is a three-day celebration featuring outlandish costumes and symbolic floats, which parade along the main street of the city. The affair is highlighted by dancing, singing, and merry-making on the street ala Mardi Gras. This is done on the 27th of May after the Feast of San Isidro de Labrador by hanging all sorts of crops, candies, kiping on bamboo poles, and bagaybay. On the 29th, Ugat Lucena is celebrated, where Lucenahin residents and those from abroad come home and retrace familial origin, renew old acquaintances, and enjoy camaraderies. It’s fiesta time on the 30th, highlighted by the celebration of Holy Mass by the bishop, in honor of Saint Ferdinand, the patron saint of Lucena. Santa Cruzan, held on the 31st, showcases the innate talents of Lucena’s couturiers and artists on aesthetics and fashion design via a religious setting.

Hambujan Festival
before Holy Week; Dolores, Quezon). There is a competition on colorful street dancing and rituals to honor the Virgin Mary.

Dolores Day
April 6; Dolores, Quezon). Dolores Day is the town’s foundation anniversary. On this date, people from other places come to the town and pray in the town church. Many sick people also come to pray to be healed.

Special Interest:

Lopez Submarine Garden.
Located near the Pulong Niugan (Coconut Island), it has a vast array of corals, which make it perfect for snorkeling. It is also a good site for scuba diving. It is located in Barangay Hondagua, Lopez, Quezon.

Polillo Coral Reef.
Located just before the entrance to the cave of Polillo town, the coral reef has a length of about five kilometers and a width of about two kilometers. It has a good spot for snorkeling and diving. Some parts are so shallow that any type of ship and banca will have to make a detour to avoid the reef area. Other parts have walls which are more than a hundred feet deep. The reef is located in Polillo, Polillo Island.

Burdeos Coral Area.
The coral area of Burdeos is one of the riches marine areas in Quezon. The particular site near the Kalotkot Island is one of the best-preserved areas. It is located in Burdeos, Polillo Island.

Cultural Tour.
Quezon is a tapestry of old Spanish-style houses with Castilian architecture and character. Visit the old houses of Lucban, Tayabas, Sariaya, Gumaca, and Mauban while savoring the best of the yield from lanzones plantations. Or come during the San Isidro Festival in honor of the patron of farmers, San Isidro Labrador. Take home petered rice paste strung in garlands for a souvenir and celebrate with the people this feat of thanksgiving for a bountiful harvest.

Nature Tripping.
Skirt around the mountains of Mt. Banahaw to watch the psychics at meditation and view the lush greens of tropical wildlife. Then stop for rare orchids and cutflowers from a thriving industry.

Swimming and leisurely beachcombing are possible in many of Quezon’s shorelines. Try the bay waters of Pagbilao, the beaches of Atimonan, the fringes of Lamon Bay and Tayabas Bay. These are also rich fishing grounds where the fresh catch may be broiled for a delectable lunch.

Rizal - Cradle Of Philippine Art

        Named in honor of the Philippines’ National Hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, the province has gained a reputation as the “Cradle of Philippine Art.” Known for its artists’ communities and folk festivals, Rizal also offers diverse natural and man-made attractions. Breathtaking views of Laguna de Bay, the rugged Sierra Madre mountains, swimming spots, and picnic grounds stand side by side with burgeoning industrial parks, convention halls, and commercial centers.


        Rizal province is Metro Manila’s closest eastern neighbor. It is bounded on the north by Bulacan, on the east by Laguna and Quezon Province, and on the south by Laguna de Bay. It has a total land area of 130,383 hectares, 27 percent of which is suitable for intensive agriculture, pastures, and forest, 62 percent, for high-density urban development, and 70 percent, for fish, farming, and wildlife conservation.

Political Subdivision

Rizal is composed of 13 municipalities and one city & districts.

  1. Antipolo City
  2. Angono
  3. Binangonan
  4. Cainta
  5. Taytay
  6. Baras
  7. Cardona
  8. Morong
  9. Jalajala
  10. Pililla
  11. Rodriguez
  12. San Mateo
  13. Tanay
  14. Teresa

Language / Dialect
The predominant language is Tagalog while English is used as the medium of communication in business and education.

Rizal has two seasons: the wet and dry. It is relatively dry from December to May, and wet during the rest of the year. Northeast winds prevail in the province. It is not directly hit by typhoons, low-pressure systems, and strong winds.


        With the organization of Tondo and La Laguna during the Spanish regime, Rizal province was composed of 26 towns. Some of the towns, including Pasig, Paranaque, Taytay, and Cainta, were already thriving because long before the Spanish conquest the Tagalog settlements had already carried on trade with Chinese merchants.

        From 1582 to 1583, the town of Moron (Morong) was under the jurisdiction of La Laguna and Pasi (Pasig), Taitai (Taytay), Tagui (Taguig) belonged to Tondo. In 1591, the encomiendas of Moron and Taitai were under the jurisdiction of the Franciscan order in La Laguna, Paranaque, Longalo (Dongalo), Taguig, and Pasig.

        A new political subdivision was formed in 1853, consisting of the towns of Antipolo, Boso-boso, Cainta, and Taytay from Tondo and the towns of Morong, Baras, Tanay, Pililla, Angono, Binangonan, and Jalajala from La Laguna. Then in 1860, Tondo became the province of Manila, placing its towns under the fiscal supervision and land control of the governor of the new province.

        It was during the revolutionary government of General Emilio Aguinaldo when Mariquina (Marikina) became the capital of Manila. In 1898-1899, Antipolo became the capital of Morong, then in 1899-1900, Tanay became its capital.

In June 1901, the first Philippine Commission, headed by President William Taft and Commissioner Wright Ide, with Dr. Trinidad Pardo de Tavera, proposed the unification of Manila and Morong, which resulted in the creation of a new province named after Jose P. Rizal, the Philippine National Hero.

        Rizal province was officially created by virtue of Act No. 310 by the Philippine Commission. It was composed of 26 municipalities, 13 from the old province of Manila comprising Las Pinas, Malabon, Makati, Paranaque, Mandaluyong, San Juan, Navotas, Muntinlupa, Taguig, Pateros, Marikina, San Mateo, and Rodriguez (formerly Montalban). The other 12 municipalities were from the district of Morong, which includes Angono, Baras, Cainta, Antipolo, Cardona Jalajala, Morong, Pililla, Tanay, Taytay, and Teresa.

        On November 8, 1975, the newly formed Metro Manila area was created by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 824, which resulted in the incorporation of the 12 towns of Las Pinas, Paranaque, Muntinlupa, Taguig, Pateros, Makati, Mandaluyong, San Juan, Malabon, Navotas, Pasig, and Marikina. The remaining 14 towns were left to the province of Rizal - San Mateo, Rodriguez, Baras, Cainta, Taytay, Angono, Antipolo, Binangonan, Teresa, Morong, Cardona, Tanay, Pililla, and Jalajala.

        When the Metro Manila Commission incorporated Pasig, the former capital, Rizal became the only province in the Philippines to have no capital town. But there is a proposal to make Antipolo the new capital of the province. At present, Antipolo is the only city in the province of Rizal.

Tourist Attractions:

Ang Kalbaryo
It is known not only for its religious significance, but also for its historical value. According to old folks, a cross-shaped rock suddenly grew out of the summit, but it was destroyed by lightning and earthquake. The people them erected in 1783 on the same spot, a wooden cross in place of the original cross. A chapel was built on top of a hill overlooking Laguna in due respect for the cross.

Petroglyphs (Binangonan, Rizal)
Discovered in 1965 by national artist and acclaimed muralist Carlos “Botong” Francisco from Angono, this cultural heritage site dates back to circa 3000 B.C. and is the most ancient Filipino, or more aptly, prehistoric Filipino work of art. The site is famous for its rock engravings, 127 drawings of human and animal figures. Previous archaeological finds yielded fragments of earthenware, obsidian flakes, and shells. The Angono Petroglyphs site has been included in the World’s Inventory of the Rock Art, through the auspices of UNESCO, ICCROM, and ICOMOS. It has been declared as a national cultural treasure by virtue of Presidential Decree 260 in 1996. It received the greatest recognition as a nominee for the “100 Most Endangered Sites of the World” by the World Monument Watch List. The preservation and development of the Petroglyphs is a collective effort of the National Museum of the Philippines, World Monument Watch Fund, American Express International, the Department of Tourism, and Antipolo Properties, Inc.

Nemiranda Arthouse and Gallery (Dona Justa Subd., Angono, Rizal)
It is a collection of the artist’s paintings masterfully employing figurative realism in his artworks, portraying rural life and folklore art. Also available are lectures, guided tours, and painting workshops.

Tiamson Art Gallerie (203 Dona Nieves St., Bgy. Sto. Nino, Angono, Rizal)
The art gallery houses the various artworks of painter, musician, and transmedia artist Orville DR Tiamson. A versatile artist, Tiamson’s style ranges from the conventional to the new age and he has experimented in various artistic presentations, including drawings on paper, oil, acrylic, paintings on canvas, mixed media collages and constructions, installations, performances, music and sound works.

Ang Nuno Gallery and Balaw-Balaw Restaurant (Don Francisco St., Dona Justa Subd., Angono, Rizal)
This charming restaurant cum art gallery owned by artist Perdigon Vocalan is popular among local and foreign tourists. It offers a hearty welcome to guests and treats them with different kinds of native food and exotic cuisine that has proven to be irresistible to patrons from all walks of life.

Blanco Family Museum (312 ibanez St., Sto. Nino, Angono, Rizal)
This famous family of painters welcomes visitors to their private museum housing their vast collection of artworks. The head of the clan, renowned artist Jose D. Blanco, has obviously handed down to his children his creativity and talent.

Vicente Reyes Studio (Dona Aurora St., Bgy. Poblacion, Angono, Rizal)
One of the most prolific and talented students of the late National Artist Carlos “Botong” Francisco, Vicente Reyes has his own studio that houses his artworks and masterpieces.

Vicente Manansala Historical Shrine (73 Gloria St., San Carlos Heights Subd., Binangonan, Rizal)
Declared by the National Historical Institute as a historical landmark in June, 1978, it now houses the memorabilia of national artist Vicente Manansala. It also features some of his well-preserved original paintings and paraphernalia.

Rafael Pacheco Finger Painting Gallery (Brgy. Bombongan, Morong)
Rafael Pacheco, the artist, has a unique way of expressing his artistic talent – he uses his bare fingers, knuckles, and palms to complete his masterpiece in 20 minutes, mainly flora, fauna, and underwater life.

Uugong Arts and Cultural Parks (Bgy. Bombongan, Morong, Rizal)
Owned by Rafael Pacheco, where he conducts his art workshops, demonstrations, and lectures, it is also a perfect hideaway from the maddening crowd of the metropolis and a nature sanctuary. One can enjoy a three-in-one view of Morong with its four-centuries old bell tower.

Hamaka Parks (Along the National Road, Antipolo City)
Named after the term “hamaka” or hammock, this was the means of transporting ladies to the pilgrimage site of Nuestra Señora dela Paz y Buenviaje (Our Lady of Peace and good Voyage). The hammock was borne by two men who would hike up and down the hilly terrain of Antipolo with their precious cargo comfortably settled in the hamaka.

World Sikaran/Arnis Brotherhood of the Philippines (20 Katipunan St., Baras, Rizal)
Sikaran/Arnis (foot game/sword play) is a combination of two kinds of martial arts that are uniquely Filipino. In Sikaran, the players move around like boxers. Each one aims to knock his opponent down by kicking the latter’s legs. The kicks are delivered with considerable force and agility, and sudden upward and backward movements of the foot. The use of the feet is necessary in winning over the opponent; hence, the name “sikaran” which means “to kick.” In arnis, the players use rattan or a wooden stick and strike each other’s sticks. The player who is able to touch his opponent’s body first with the point of his wooden stick or force him to drop his weapon is declared winner. 

Boso-Boso Church Ruins (Bgy. San jose, Antipolo City)
The newly restored Boso-Boso church from the remnants of a centuries-old church, which was destroyed during the Second World War. It stands amidst old stones, wild vines, and plants.

Our Lady of Antipolo Shrine (Antipolo City)
It is known to be the home of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage (Nuestra Señora dela Paz y Buenviaje). History says that this miraculous icon sailed back and forth between Manila and Acapulco eight times, and on several occasions, was credited with saving the Spanish galleons from destruction by pirates, and Dutch and British blockades. The galleon's safe arrivals were attributed to the miraculous powers of the icon. It was on November 26, 1926 that the Blessed Virgin from Acapulco was dedicated by the Archbishop of Manila, Michael O' Doherty. The month of May is a month-long fiesta in Antipolo, when thousands of devotees come to pay homage to Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage.

Tanay Catholic Church (Tanay, Rizal)
The first Tanay Catholic Church made of nipa and bamboo was built in 1606. The current building made of locally quarried stone was completed in 1680. In 1783, it was reconstructed together with the convent. The church is an example of early Renaissance architecture. It has a four-storey octagonal tower, a façade of adobe blocks, relieved by columns and semicircular arched windows. Its podium is adorned by a niche with the statue of San Ildefonso de Toledo, the patron saint of the town. A convent and a courtyard connect the church to the Catholic school managed by the Archdiocese of Antipolo. Inside are ornate altars with statues of saints. Finely carved, 200 year-old Stations of the Cross add luster to the antiquity of the church.

Baras Church (Baras, Rizal)
Baras Church is one of the oldest in the area, having been completed in 1686. The first church in Baras was built by the Franciscans in 1595. The town of Baras was transferred to Ibayo in 1636 but the church was returned to the present site in 1682. It was the Jesuits who administered the parish from 1616 to 1679. The interior of the church was simply done. The altar and the lanterns are stone artifacts, unearthed beneath the church.

Morong Church (San Jose, Morong, Rizal)
St. Jerome Church stands high above the town of Morong. It was built in 1615 by Chinese craftsmen as evidenced by the Chinese lions at the entrance to the steep driveway. It took three years to construct the church which was entirely funded by the people of Morong. The stone and mortar church has steps leading up to the front. The cross on the tower is illuminated at night and can be seen clearly from the surrounding countryside. It has a tower in front, about 100 feet high with a statue of St. Michael the Archangel on top. The three-storey façade which was built in 1850-1853 to support a new bell tower is one of the most splendid examples of baroque architecture in the Philippines. It is in graduated levels, surmounted by a four-storey octagonal bell tower of European influence, with paired columns at the four exterior corners. The ornamentation consists of long, simple nave. The 14 Stations of the Cross are beautifully done. The restoration of the ceiling has been done and old beams are now visible.

Other Churches in Rizal:

Daranak Falls (Bgy. Tandang Kutyo, Tanay, Rizal)
A favorite location shooting area of most local and international movies and advertising outfits in the country, Daranak Falls nestles quietly at the foot of the Tanay mountains, preserved with the natural vegetation, complemented with beautiful waterfalls, ponds, and rivers cascading through elaborate tropical trees and plants. This 14-meter high falls is truly a refreshing site.

Batlag Falls (Tanay, Rizal)
Further up the mountain, a smaller yet enchanting falls called Batlag Falls will transport you to another natural paradise. Swimming in the cool and flowing water of the falls around a forested vicinity will truly inspire people to preserve and protect this natural wonder.

Hinulugang Taktak (Taktak Road, Antipolo City)
The town of Antipolo has been traditionally known for Hinulugang Taktak Falls, even before World War II. The mountain resort has picnic cottages, a swimming pool, artificial paths, and steps to view the waterfalls. During the month of May, cultural concerts and plays are held in the area fronting the waterfalls.


Talim Island (Binangonan, Rizal)
It is the island where 17 coastal barangays of the municipality of Binangonan are located. They are situated along the shores of Laguna de Bay where fishing is a thriving industry.

Susong Dalaga (Bgy. Sapang, Talim Island, Binangonan, Rizal)
A 200 meter-high mountain shaped like a virgin’s breast. A trek to this mountain challenges the grit, perseverance, and physical stamina of hikers. But once they are at the top, a rewarding feeling of “being high” comes by looking at the scenic Laguna Lake and its pristine surroundings.

Wawa Dam (Bgy. Wawa, Rodriguez, Rizal)
Wawa Dam is located at the foothills of the Sierra Madre Mountains. It supplies water to Novaliches passing through large pipes. It has a gorge, which lies between two limestone mountains and through this passes the upper Marikina River. Four caves are visible on the way to the dam. These caves are said to have been inhabited by the Japanese soldiers during the Second World War. A historical marker can be found at the entrance of one of the caves, in memory of the Japanese soldiers.


Ang Hatol (The Way of the Cross) (Good Friday; Cainta, Rizal)
"A stage presentation that highlights the judgment of Pontius Pilate on Jesus Christ.
Cenakulo (Cainta, Rizal). Passion plays called “cenaculos” are held in various places all over the Philippines during the Holy Week. In Cainta, Rizal, however, people take to the streets and the community theater to act out and witness passion plays associated with the Passion of Christ."

Giwang-giwang (Binangonan, Rizal)
A play reenacting the funeral of Jesus Christ through a procession on Good Friday. Due to the influx of tourists, devotees try to touch the Sepulkro or sepulcher making it sway, hence, its local translation, the term Giwang-giwang. People searching for an amulet or anting-anting join this religious activity.

The Subok (Tanay and Taytay, Rizal)
A group of men, after feasting and overnight meditation, gather around the church to wait for the Santo Entierro, a wooden statue of the dead Christ. They rush forward to insert various objects in the folds of the robe, under the feet, and in the hollows of the hands. The image is then loaded with handkerchiefs, bronze medals, and pieces of paper inscribed with Latin phrases. The float in encircled by men. After the procession, these men retrieve the objects from the image. Now it is the time for the “subok,” the testing of the talismans by using whips, revolvers, knives, and machetes (bolos) throughout the afternoon and evening till Saturday. Each one tests the effectivity of this talisman by requesting another man to shoot, whip or stab him.

Salubong Festival (Angono, Rizal)
Black Saturday is highlighted by a 3-hour presentation at the churchyard wherein high-tech stage decorations and sound system with trained production staff assist the “Vigilia ng Muling Pagkabuhay” as they are fondly called by the parish. Easter Sunday celebration is held in a place called Galilea where the reunion of the Risen Christ with the Virgin Mary is re-enacted.

Tayo na sa Antipolo Festival (Antipolo City)
A month-long celebration to honor Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage. Devotees are seen taking the much-trodden path leading to Antipolo. The image, which is already three centuries old, is said to exhibit supernatural powers. In the evening of April 30, thousands of pilgrims from several places in Metro Manila and nearby towns begin an annual trek to the path, on foot.

Feast of San Clemente (Higantes Festival) (Angono, Rizal)
Angono’s joyous fiesta in honor of San Clemente whose image, resplendent in papal vestment, is borne by male devotees during a procession accompanied by “parehadoras” (devotees dressed in local costumes, wooden shoes, and carrying boat paddles) and “higantes,” (giant wooden figures made from papier mache and bamboo). The street event culminates in a fluvial procession on the shores of Laguna de Bay, amidst revelry that continues until the image is brought back to the parish church.

Special Interest:

Valley Golf and Country Club (Sumulong Highway, Antipolo City)
The land area, terrain, and topography of the valley meet the criteria for a standard championship golf course. The clubhouse is the venue for special events and fellowship of club members and guests.

East Ridge Golf Club (Binangonan, Rizal)

Art Appreciation Tours
Angono, Binangonan, Tanay, and Morong abound with art houses where traditional and contemporary paintings and masterpieces are arrayed for public viewing, allowing visitors to imbibe the culture and artistic genius of the Filipino. The galleries of Vicente Manansala in Binangonan; the galleries of Blanco and Nemiranda in Angono; the Pacheco Gallery in Morong; and the Angono Art Galleries are excellent sources of artworks by the artists of Rizal.

Nature Tripping
Nature tripping near Manila can be had to your heart’s content in any of Rizal’s natural sites. Try the Daranak Falls in Tanay, or troop to Talim Island to savor the finest catch of the lake.

Food Tripping
Rizal is well known for its bountiful harvest of fruits and the equally plentiful catch from Laguna de Bay. Many native-styled restaurants rise above fishponds and beneath shaded groves, serving freshwater fish cooked to specifications. Cainta is famous for coco jam, a sticky-sweet concoction eaten with bread. In summer, the stalls around the Cathedral of Antipolo sell hot cashew nuts, suman (sticky rice delicacies), and freshly-picked duhat (local blackberries).

No comments:

Post a Comment