Friday, July 22, 2011

Region 2- The Cagayan Valley





The Cagayan Valley



    
Cagayan Valley (Lambak ng Cagayan in Filipino) is a region of the Philippines, also designated as Region II or Region 02. It is composed of five provinces, namely: Batanes,Cagayan, Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya, and Quirino. It has three cities; Cauayan City, its regional center-Tuguegarao, and its commercial center-Santiago City.

Most of the region lies in a large valley in northeastern Luzon, between the Cordilleras and the Sierra Madre mountain ranges. The Cagayan River, the country's longest river runs through its center and flows out to Luzon Strait in the north, in the town of Aparri, Cagayan. The Babuyan and Batanes island groups that lie in the Luzon Strait also belong to the region.

***********************************************************


Batanes




Batanes - Land Of The True Insulars


The island-province of Batanes was created by a series of volcanic activities and other geologic forces millions of years ago.

The province is home to the famous Ivatans who are nationally acclaimed as the “True Insulares.” The Ivatans are of Malay stock, tracing their roots to early immigrants fromFormosa, Taiwan as well as Spaniards who came to the island in the 16th century. Being an insular people, the Ivatans have kept the purity of their gene pool through time.

Batanes lies at the northernmost tip of the Philippines, where the Pacific Ocean merges with the South China Sea. It is composed of three major islands, namely: Batan which contains the capital town of Basco, Sabtang, and Itbayat. Close by are seven islets including Amianan, which is the closest to Formosa. Thus, Batanes has been identified as the country’s potential gateway to East China.


Geography

"The island-province is strewn on a 4,500 square kilometer expanse of territorial waters, the Luzon Strait and Balintang Channel, where the Pacific Ocean merges with the South China Sea, a sealane between the Philippines and the southern parts ofJapan, China, Hongkong, and Taiwan. It is bounded on the north by the Bashi Channel, on the east by the Pacific Ocean, on the west by the South China Sea, and on the south by the Balintang Channel. It is characterized by gently rolling hills, cliffs, and black and white sand beaches.

Batanes is about 860 kilometers (approx. 525 miles) from Manila. Basco, the capital town, is about 280 kilometers north of Aparri and about 190 kilometers south of Taiwan.

Political Subdivision

Batanes has six municipalities (29 barangays, and one congressional district):

  1. *Ivana 
  2. *Basco (Capital) 
  3. *Uyugan
  4. *Sabtang
  5. *Mahatao 
  6. *Itbayat.
Language / Dialect

The mother tongue of Batanes is Ivatan, spoken by 93.94 percent of all households. The Ilocano dialect is also spoken while Filipino and English are generally spoken and understood.

Major Industries

The province has a total agricultural land area of 5,438 hectares and has a wide area open for agricultural expansion. Due to its terrain, it is a major livestock producer with cattle as its main stock. Carabaos and goats are also popularly raised. Another major industry is fishing which reaches its peak during the summer months, from March to June, when the seawater is relatively calm.

History

In 1782, Philippine Governor General Jose Basco y Vargas sent an expedition to undertake the formalities of getting the consent of the Ivatans to become subjects of the King of Spain. On June 26, 1783, Joseph Huelva Melgarjo became the first Governor of Batanes. The new province was named Provincia dela Concepcion. Governor Basco was named “Conde dela Conquista de Batanes” and the capital town was named after him.

Manila decided to downgrade the province in 1799 since it was unable to support itself. The office of the governor was abolished and Valero Bermudez was appointed Alcalde. However, upon the formal recognition of the Itbayat Mission in 1855, the governorship was restored and Fernando dela Cuevas was assigned Governor.

On September 18, 1898, Katipuneros from Luzon hoisted their flag at Radiwan in Ivana. Thereafter, on September 20, a new set of officers was elected, with Teofilo Castillejos as Governor.

In February 1900, the USS Princeton landed in Batanes to signal the beginning of American rule. The province became a mere township for the second time under Cagayan, as enacted by Provincial Government Act No. 83 of the American Government on February 6, 1901. The public School system was started.

Batanes became a province once again by the provision of Act 1952 enacted on May 10, 1909, and Otto Scheerer was appointed Governor. The government of Manila erected a wireless telegraph tower and station in the province; better roads were built and an agricultural land was converted into an airport. The presence of mass media and radio communications lessened cultural isolation. Infrastructure, electrification, and deep sea fishing improved and a shift to rice from root crops for traditional subsistence was effected.


Tourist Attractions:

The Ivatans - The friendly Ivatans of Batanes, considered as “True Insulares,” can be found greeting visitors and tourists walking along the streets of the island-province.


Old Loran Station - used to house a US coastguard detachment for almost two decades and is about 25 kilometers from Basco.



Radiwan Point  - at Ivana Seaport is where the Katipuneros landed in September 18, 1898. It is also the ferry station of the falowas plying the islands of Sabtang and Itbayat.



Ruins of Songsong  -  A “ghost barangay” which is really a cluster of roofless shells of old stone houses abandoned after a tidal wave that hit the island of Batan in the 1950s. The area has a long stretch of beach. Located 23 kilometers from Basco.




Lime And Stone Houses And Churches Buildings   are traditionally two-storey with meter thick cogon roofs believed to last 60 years. These houses were built around 1795 with the help of imported masons, stone cutters and carpenters from the Provinceof Cagayan. These stone houses, found all over Batanes, are worthy subjects for photography.



Boat-shaped Stone Grave Markers  Chuhangin Burial Site - located at IvuhosIsland, Sabtang, Batanes


Chavulan Burial Jar Site at Ivuhos Island and Sabtang Island


Sabtang Island  -  Chosen as one of the 12 Best Destinations in the Philippines by the Department of Tourism in 1994, this island southwest of Batan Island remains undisturbed and unspoiled. It has intermittent white sand beaches, steep mountains, and deep canyons with small level areas sporadically found along the coastline. Accessible in 30 minutes by falowa from Radiwan Port in Ivana. Also the take off point for Ivuhos Island from Barangay Nakanmuan.















Itbayat Island  - Located north of Batan Island, it is surrounded by massive boulders and cliffs rising from 20-70 feet above sea level and has no shoreline. It has a dirt airstrip for light aircraft. Ferries run the Batan-Itbayat route; travel time is about four hours by falowa from the Basco Seaport. Light planes fly from Basco Airport to Itbayat in 12-minute trips at PhP700.00/pax.











Batan Island  - The center of commerce and seat of the provincial government. The most populated island of the province, it is composed of the 
municipalities of Basco, Ivana, Uyugan, and Mahatao.





Mount Iraya   A dormant volcano standing at 1,517 meters whose last eruption was recorded in 505 AD. Ideal for mountaineering, trekking, and trailblazing. It is a walking distance from Basco and can be climbed to the top in about three hours.



Mavudis Island  The northernmost island of Batanes. “Tatus” or coconut crabs abound in this island surrounded by rich marine life.

Di-atay Beach  A beautiful cove with multi-colored rocks and white sand. Ideal for picnics and beach combing. Located along the national highway between Mahatao and Ivana; 9.85 kilometers from Basco.



Songsong  - (Chadpidan Bay). Famous for its beautiful sunset view and big stone boulders. It is three kilometers or an hour of exhilarating trek from Basco proper. Naidi Hills. A walking distance from Basco.



 Chawa Cave  - Believed to be an enchanted cave, it has a natural salt bed and a mouth that opens to the South China Sea and is accessible through the boulders of Chawa Point in Mahatao. Located four kilometers from Basco.



Nakabuang Cave  - Located 5.5 kilometers from San Vicente Centro in Sabtang.


Mt. Matarem  - An extinct volcano measuring 495 meters at its summit. Located eight kilometers from Basco.



White Beach  - Located in Vatang, Hapnit, and Mavatuy Point at Mahatao.



Sitio Jura at Racujaide   The fishermen’s village at Mananoy Bay. Fishing season is marked by a festival in mid-March called Payvanuvanuan during which visitors are treated with fresh fish delicacies from the Pacific Ocean. Within the area is the legendary “Spring of Youth” and a living cave with crystal limestone formations.Mananoy Bay is nine kilometers from Basco proper.






Kanyuyan Beach & Port  - (Baluarte Bay, Basco). The port of call of the cargo ships bringing goods from Manila.



Radar Tukon   was a United States weather station on a hilltop. It offers a magnificent 360-degree view of Batan Island, the South China Sea, Mt. Iraya, Basco proper, boulder lined cliffs and the Pacific Ocean. At present, it houses the last weather station in the north, the Basco Radar Station and is only 2.75 kilometers from Basco.




World War ll Japanese Tunnel




Naidi Lighthouse in Sabtang & Basco Lighthouse




San Jose Church  - (Ivana). Built in 1814 although its foundation dates back to 1795. Of all the old churches in Batanes, it is the only one that was not built in the espadaña style. It has a crenellated fortress-like campanile or belltower that gives the appearance of a fortification. Fronts the Ivana Seaport and offers a commanding view of the sea and surrounding countryside due to its elevation. Located 14 kilometers from Basco.



San Carlos Borromeo Church & Convent  (Mahatao). Founded in 1789 and built in 1873, it has a façade modeled after that of Basco Cathedral, with two round arches at roof level for the bells. On its outer walls are massive buttresses that used to serve as stairways to the roof – a thing of convenience in the olden days when frequent repairs had to be made to the cogon grass roofing. The church still retains its centuries-old features. Located six kilometers from Basco.


Church of Sto. Domingo de Basco (Basco Cathedral)  Established in 1783, it is the oldest and most important church in Batanes. To give the façade stability and strength against earthquakes and typhoon winds, the church walls were buttressed with massive pilasters from foundation to top. The church is dedicated to the Immaculate Concepcion, patroness of Batanes



San Vicente Ferrer Church  - (Sabtang Island). Another church modeled after the one in Basco. Following an unfortunate incident in 1790, when Spanish emissaries sent to procure goods from the parish were killed by some natives, the people of Sabtang were forcibly resettled across the channel to Ivana and not allowed to return until 1844 when the foundations of the present church were laid.



Other Attractions & Landmarks:



















Special Interest:

Trekking  - Popular activity at Marlboro Hills and Naidi Hills.
Surfing  - Popular activity at Madiwedved, Mahatao.
Bird Watching at Cuyab  - Observe the migratory birds from China that flock the islands in search of a warmer climate every October.





***********************************************************



Cagayan


Cagayan - A True Spelunker's Paradise


Cagayan is the Regional Seat of the Cagayan Valley Region.


Tuguegarao City, the capital, is the seat of commerce and trade and center for learning. The province has 73 percent of the region’s potential fishing area.


Known as the spelunker’s, trekker’s, and game fisher’s paradise rolled into one, Cagayan provides a never-ending adventure with ecotourism in the forefront of its offering. Both foreign and local tourists continue to explore its caves, engage in game fishing expeditions, trek its mighty mountains and retreat to its centuries-old churches.


Present day chroniclers say that the name was derived from the word “tagay,” a kind of plant that grows abundantly in the northern part of the province. Thus, “Catagayan” which means a place where the tagay grows abundantly was shortened to “Cagayan,” the present name of the province.


History


In 1581, Captain Juan Pablo Careon, native of Vizcaya, a province of Spain, with one hundred soldiers fully equipped with arms and ammunition and other provisions, came to Cagayan with their families by order of Don Gonzalo Ronquillo de Peñaloza, the fourth Spanish Civil Governor, to explore the Cagayan Valley and to convert the natives to Christianity as well as to establish ecclesiastical missions and towns throughout the valley. This was the first batch of Spanish settlers in the Cagayan Valley who introduced Spanish culture and Latin civilization, enriching primitive culture, customs, and tradition.


On June 29, 1583, Don Juan de Salcedo traced the northern coastline of Luzon and set foot on the Massi (Pamplona), Tular, and Aparri areas. The Spanish friars soon established mission posts in Camalaniugan and Lallo, which became the seat of Nueva Segovia established on August 14, 1595. The Spanish influence can still be seen in the massive churches and other buildings that the Spaniards built for the spiritual and social welfare of the people.


With the Treaty of Paris signed in 1898, ending the war between Spain and the United States, America took over the Philippines and enriched the culture, most notably in agriculture and education as well as in public works and communications. At the close of the 18th century, there were 29 municipalities in the province of Cagayan. When the Philippines came under American sovereignty in 1902, 35 municipalities have been founded. Since then, however, on account of the tendency at centralization and shifting of population as a result of the opening of roads and public agricultural lands, only 29 municipalities now remain. (Source:Cagayan Souvenir Program 1968)


In 1581, Captain Juan Pablo Careon, native of Vizcaya, a province of Spain, with one hundred soldiers fully equipped with arms and ammunition and other provisions, came to Cagayan with their families by order of Don Gonzalo Ronquillo de Peñaloza, the fourth Spanish Civil Governor, to explore the Cagayan Valley and to convert the natives to Christianity as well as to establish ecclesiastical missions and towns throughout the valley. This was the first batch of Spanish settlers in the Cagayan Valley who introduced Spanish culture and Latin civilization, enriching primitive culture, customs, and tradition.


On June 29, 1583, Don Juan de Salcedo traced the northern coastline of Luzon and set foot on the Massi (Pamplona), Tular, and Aparri areas. The Spanish friars soon established mission posts in Camalaniugan and Lallo, which became the seat of Nueva Segovia established on August 14, 1595. The Spanish influence can still be seen in the massive churches and other buildings that the Spaniards built for the spiritual and social welfare of the people.


With the Treaty of Paris signed in 1898, ending the war between Spain and the United States, America took over the Philippines and enriched the culture, most notably in agriculture and education as well as in public works and communications. At the close of the 18th century, there were 29 municipalities in the province of Cagayan. When the Philippines came under American sovereignty in 1902, 35 municipalities have been founded. Since then, however, on account of the tendency at centralization and shifting of population as a result of the opening of roads and public agricultural lands, only 29 municipalities now remain. (Source:Cagayan Souvenir Program 1968).


Geography


The province is bounded by the Pacific Ocean on the east, on the south is Isabela province, on the west is the Cordillera Mountain, and on the north by the Balintang Channel and the Babuyan Group of Islands. About two kilometers from the northeastern tip of the province is the island of Palaui, a few kilometers to the west is Fuga Island. The Babuyan Group of Islands, which includes Calayan, Dalupiri, Camiguin, and Babuyan Claro, is about 60 nautical miles north of Luzon mainland.


The province comprises an aggregate land area of 9,002.70 square kilometers, which constitutes three percent of the total land area of the country, making it the second largest province in the region.




Political Subdivision


Cagayan has 28 municipalities and one city divided into three congressional districts ( subdivided into 816 barangays)




  1. Abulug 
  2. Alcala
  3. Allacapan
  4. Amulung
  5. Aparri
  6. Baggao
  7. Ballesteros
  8. Buguey
  9. Calayan
  10. Camalaniugan
  11. Claveria
  12. Enrile
  13. Gattaran
  14. Gonzaga
  15. Iguig
  16. Lal-Lo
  17. Lasam
  18. Pamplona
  19. Peñablanca
  20. Piat
  21. Rizal
  22. Sanchez-Mira
  23. Santa Ana
  24. Santa Praxedes
  25. Santa Teresita
  26. Santo Niño (Faire)
  27. Solana 
  28. Tuao
  29. Tuguegarao City (Capital)
Language


Languages in the province are Ybanag, Ytawit, Malaweg, and Ilocano. Other ethnic groups that migrated to the province speak their own dialects. People in places where literacy is high speak and understand English and Pilipino.


Industries


Agricultural products are rice, corn, peanut, beans, and fruits. Livestock products include cattle, hogs, carabaos, and poultry. Fishing various species of fish from the coastal towns is also undertaken. Woodcraft furniture made of hardwood, rattan, bamboo, and other indigenous materials are also available in the province.


Tourist Attractions:

Evangelization Cross (Lal-lo, Cagayan)  - The cross is believed to be 300 years old and was installed at a park in front of the Lal-lo church to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the arrival of the Our Lady of Piat image in Lal-lo from Macau, China. Across is the mighty Cagayan River

.




Basilica Minore of Our Lady of Piat  - The Lady of the Visitation was originally called the Lady of the Holy Rosary, perhaps because it was supposedly brought fromMacao to the Philippines in 1604 by devotees of the Rosary, the Dominican friars. This almost four-centuries old image of Mary was first enshrined in Nueva Segovia of Lallo but was brought to Piat to convert the Itawes people to Christianity. On June 20, 1954
, the Church was declared a National Shrine for Catholic Philippines. The image is famous in the country and abroad as the Black Mary, thus making Piat the pilgrimage center of the Northeast. Pilgrims are drawn to the shrine every year, especially on the Lady’s feast day on July 2.





Iguig Calvary Hills & Parish of St. James the Greater (San Antonio de Galicia) - Located about 16 kilometers from Tuguegarao City. In the 11-hectare rolling hills are the larger-than-life-size concrete 14 Stations of the Cross depicting Jesus Christ’s suffering before his death at Mount Calvary. The statues were completed in 1982. The place also features a three centuries old well, Dominican convent ruins, and the prosaic view of the Cagayan River
which resembles that of the River Jordan. Built of concentric bricks, the church has buttresses, one of the very few left in the country.




Sts. Peter and Paul Metropolitan Cathedral  -  The seat of the Archdiocese of Tuguegarao. The church with belfry is the biggest Spanish-built church in Cagayan Valley, constructed under the supervision of Fr. Antonio Lobato, OP on June 17, 1761 to 1767 (Cagayan Souvenir Program, 1968). The cathedral suffered massive destruction in WW II and was rebuilt by Msgr. Bishop Constance Jurgens. It is considered as one the of the most beautiful works of art in the country and the world today. Its picture appears at Rome Basilica.


St. Hyacinth Church or San Jacinto Chapel  - An elevated chapel whose construction dates back from 1604. It was reconstructed after the war and was dedicated on August 16, 1724. It was used as headquarters by American soldiers during the Filipino-American War in 1899. It is 100 years older than the Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral.


Alcala’s St. Philomene Church  - Located along the Maharlika Highway. Built in 1881, it stands as a mute witness to the several regimes that have enriched the province’s cultural heritage. Alcala town is also famous for its carabao milk candy.


The Oldest Bell in the Far East  - Found in Camalaniugan’s San Jacinto de Polonia Parish. Forged in 1595, it was brought to Manila in 1937 as part of the attractions during the 33rd International Eucharistic Congress. The Quadricentenial Anniversary of the evangelization of Camalaniugan town was celebrated on June 15, 1996. Camalaniugan is 93.6 kilometers from Tuguegarao.


Lallo  - Known as the home of the “mestizas” in northern Cagayan. The town whose former name was featured in the annals of Philippine history as “Nueva Segovia” was one of the first four cities in the Philippines. It was the seat of the Archdiocese of Nueva Segovia; the chosen capital of Cagayan Valley in the 16th century; and the capital of Cagayan province until 1839.

Cagayan Provincial Museum & Historical Research Center  - Located at the Provincial Capitol Complex, it was conceived by the Provincial Board in 1971 and became operational on its inauguration on August 15, 1973 during the traditional Aggao nac Cagayan. It is a general museum and houses an extensive collection of artifacts, antiques, ethnographics, tradewares, heirloom pieces and liturgical works of the province, and fossils of animals that once roamed the valley. The center is only five kilometers from Tuguegarao City.




Rev. Fr. Gerry Z. Fillipe Ho, Ofm Memorial Museum (Sta. Ana)  - Constructed in loving memory of the late founder of the Franciscan Apostolate Sisters. Contents of the museum include all the personal belongings of Father Ho, such as prayer books, vestments, missals, and memorabilia like pictures, clothes, and the first vehicle used by the sisters in apostolating to the barrios. A chapel dedicated to Padre Pio exists in the premises. The museum is about 175 km. from Tuguegarao City. It is owned by the Franciscan Apostolate Sisters.

Pannaddamman Museum  - "Located inside the Cagayan State University campus at Carig, Tuguegarao City, it showcases the tradition of the native Ibanag and Ilocano from birth to death by using mannequins. The museum also boasts of a shell midden from the archeological site of Lallo, old coins and political history, and home and farm implements, among others.
Open during weekdays. On weekends call (078) 844 1949 for appointment. Entrance fee is Php10.00/pax."

CARSUMCO  - The Cagayan Robina Sugar Milling Corporation is built amidst thousands of hectares of sugarcane plantation. The building stands along the highway of Sto. Domingo, Piat which is about 30 kilometers from Tuguegarao on the way to the Basilica Minore of Our Lady of Piat.



St. Paul University  - Founded on May 10, 1907 by the sisters of St. Paul de Chartes, four French, and one Chinese nun, the school now boasts of being the only university ofSt. Paul in the 39 St. Paul Colleges in the country. It was formerly called Colegio de San Pablo in 1907 and started with three classes only, then the name was changed to Sagrado Corazon de Jesus. The last World War heavily damaged the buildings and equipment but the college trudged on bravely, changing its name to Sacred Heart of Jesus Institution, and transferred to where it stands today, then to St. Paul College of Tuguegarao to St. Paul University in 1983. It is a co-educational institution.



Callao Caves Tourist Zone  - "Located within the Peñablanca Protected Landscape; 24 kilometers from Tuguegarao. The seven-chambered Callao Caves boast of massive limestone and other rock formations, skylights, and a chapel. Other pristine and undisturbed caves with living rock formations in the area include Sierra Cave, QuibalCave, Odessa-Tumbali Cave System, Jackpot Cave, Roc and San Carlos Caves, among others. These caves can be explored with guides from Sierra Madre Outdoor Club (SMOC), Adventures and Expedition Philippines, Inc. (AEPI), and North Adventours.
More than 300 caves dot the area, 75 of which have been documented by the NationalMuseum since 1977. Within the area is the Pinacanauan River conducive for river rafting or boating, kayaking, fishing, and swimming while the mountains are perfect for trekking and mountaineering. Daily circadian flight of bats from a bat cave occur at dusk."




Buntun Bridge  -  Situated 2.5 kilometers from Tuguegarao City proper. Its length of 1.124 kilometers makes it the longest river bridge in the country. It offers an unobstructed view of the Cagayan River.



Magapit Suspension Bridge  - One ofthe first of its kind in Asia, it spans theCagayan River at Lallo and is 0.76 kilometers long. The hanging bridge links the first and second districts of Cagayan going towards the Ilocos Region via the scenicPatapat Road on the Ilocos Norte-Cagayan Inter-Provincial national highway. Travellers can have a good view of the hanging bridge on their way to Aparri. Barangay Magapit in the town of Lallo is about 74 kilometers from Tuguegarao City, or a one hour travel.



Jackpot Cave - Located at Sitio Tumallo, Barangay Quibal in Peñablanca. At 115 meters, it is the second deepest cave in the Philippines. The cave has a walking-size passage, shafts and drops of varying depths that provide for a lot of rope works. Meandering streams and gour pools of varying sizes abound. A sump of undetermined depth backs up on wet season flooding the lower section of the cave to the roof as evidenced by large logs jammed in the roof of the cave.



Odessa-Tumbali Cave System  -  Located at Sitio Abbenditan, Barangay Quibal in Peñablanca. At 12.60 kilometers, it is the third longest cave in the Philippines. Known locally as Abbenditan Cave, it is active, flood prone, and provides excellent wet sport caving. It has superb formations and passage shapes, canals and lakes for swimming, photography and cave diving opportunities, and varied fauna. Acknowledged to be a perfect cave system, it has five known entrances with potential to exceed its length to 15 kilometers. 




San Carlos Cave  - Probably one of the toughest caves the Philippines could offer. When inside the cave, spelunkers will learn the art of cave crawling. A chamber called “Ice Cream Parlor” contains a cluster of white stalagmites that resemble scooped ice cream. The “John the Baptist” chamber is a very deep underwater sump that one has to take a deep breath and swim to the other side of the chamber. Sharp and rough stones could scratch the skin and tear clothing. San Carlos requires a lot of swimming because more than half of the cave is covered by cold running subterranean water.

San Vicente, Sta. Ana & the Palaui Island  -  Ideal water and sports fishing destinations. Sta. Ana, Philippine Sailfish Capital, is famous worldwide for its abundant marine life and is the site of national and international gamefishing competitions. The Cape Engaño Lighthouse in Palaui Island dates back to the Spanish Regime and is the only operational lighthouse in the northeastern coast. The island boasts of rich marine resources and uncontaminated environs, has been declared under Coastal Environmental Protection by the DENR, and is very ideal for ecotourism activities. The island is 30 minutes from the mainland by “lampitao” and is very ideal for all types of water sports. Picnic areas include Mavidad Islet and Mapurao Beach at the east of the mainland.
Also in Sta. Ana is Port Irene which is being developed as an international port of call by Cagayan Economic Zone Authority and Free Port. The town of Sta. Ana is about 158 kilometers from Tuguegarao City.




Black & Fine Sand Beaches  - There is a wide expanse of these beaches sprawling along the coastal towns of Sanchez Mira, Sta. Praxedes, Claveria, Buguey, Buguey, Aparri, Ballesteros, Abulug, and the islands of Palaui, Fuga, and island municipality ofCalayan. Sanchez Mira, Claveria, and Sta. Praxedes have facilities for homestay whileFuga Island is being developed as a world class recreation and tourism center. The airstrip at Claveria could be used as a jump-off point to Fuga Island.



Portabaga Falls  - Located in Sta. Paxedes, it is one of the tallest falls in Cagayan. Approximately 15 meters in height, it has three drop off points and a big man-made catchbasin for swimming. Sta. Praxedes is 194 kilometers from Tuguegarao and the falls is about 100 meters from the highway.




Cagayan River Rio Grande de Cagayan  - The Philippines’ mightiest watercourse – the longest and widest river in the country. Small streams originating from Balete Pass, Cordillera, Caraballo, and Sierra Madre Mountains meet other streams and rivers and flow to the Cagayan River
. The famous “lurung” fish abound in this river during the rainy season when the river is murky and the fishes swim upstream from the delta of Aparri to spawn.




Aparri Delta  - An impressive expanse of land where one can see the Cagayan Rivermeet with the China Sea. Walk into the jetty at the juncture of the river and the sea to find the awesome mouth of the vast Cagayan River. Stand windblown, experience the beauty and power of the place.







Other Tourist Attractions & Landmarks:























Special Interest:
Scuba Diving, snorkeling and Game Fishing - at Palaui Island in Sta. Ana
Surfing - at Claveria and Sanchez Mira

Mountaineering & Trekking - Town of Peñablanca and Palaui Island
Spelunking - at the Caves of Peñablanca and Baggao
Bird Watching and Bonsai exploration -at Peñablanca
Whale Watching at Calayan Islands



***********************************************************

Isabela

Isabela - Rice Granary Of The North 

Isabela, the biggest province in the Cagayan Valley Region, is now one of the premier provinces of the north. It has been dubbed as the “Rice Granary of the North” having been adjudged as the Most Outstanding Province in Food Security in the Gawad Sapat Ani Awards 2000 conducted by the Department of Agriculture. It is also home to the famous Northern Sierra Madre Natural Park, a protected seascape and landscape of exceptional biodiversity.

Santiago City, the commercial center of Region 2, has been declared an independent-component city through a plebiscite on July 3, 1994 under Republic Act 7720.

Cauayan City, the trading center in Isabela, is also a component city ratified in a majority vote on March 30, 2001.

History


It is believed that the history of the province dates back to over 25,999 years ago with the Stone Age race of dark-skinned, kinky-haired pigmies whose descendants, the nomadic Aetas (Negritos), can still be found roaming the mountains and forest of eastern Isabela today. The Indonesians arrived 5,000 years ago, followed by three waves of Malays between 200 BC and 1500 AD. These pagan ancestors of the Ibanags, Gaddangs, Yogads, Kalingas, and other original tribes of the valley built a civilization based on corn agriculture and organized around the fundamental political unit, the barangay.

The Spaniards arrived in the late 16th and 17th centuries and introduced Christianity, the encomienda (forerunner of the municipality) system, and the tobacco monopoly. Spanish rule was extremely oppressive so the natives rose in revolt on several occasions, most notably in the 18th century under the leadership of Dabo and Marayag.

According to Fr. Ambrocio Manaligod, STD, from 1851, the Spanish conquistadors established the “Ciudad de Nueva Segovia” in what is called Lallo today. Up to 1839, the entire Cagayan Valley was one large province which the Spaniards called “La Provincia del Valle de Cagayan.” Out of this vast territory, two new provinces were created in 1839. One retained the old name “Cagayan” which comprised all towns from Aparri to Tumauini. Its capital transferred from Lallo to Tuguegarao. The one bearing the name “Nueva Vizcaya” was composed of all towns from Ilagan to the Caraballo del Sur including Catalangan and Palanan, with Camarag (now Echague) as its capital.

A Royal Decree was created in May 1, 1856 creating “Isabela de Luzon” to distinguish it from other Isabelas in the Philippines. It comprised the town of Carig (now Santiago City), Camarag (now Echague), Angadanan (now Alicia), Cauayan, Calanusian (now Reina Mercedes), Gamu, and Ilagan, all detached from Nueva Vizcaya; while Tumauini and Cabagan were taken from the province of Cagayan. It was placed under the jurisdiction of a governor with the capital seat at Ilagan, where it remains at the present.

A new wave of immigration began in the late 19th and 20th centuries with the arrival of the Ilocanos who came in large numbers. They now constitute the largest group in the province. Other ethnic groups followed and Isabela became the “melting pot of the north.”

Although the province did not play a major role in the revolt against Spain, it was in Palanan where the final pages of the Philippine revolution were written when the American forces led by General Frederick Funston captured General Emilio Aguinaldo on March 23, 1901


Geography

        The province is divided into three physiographic areas. The eastern area, straddled by the Sierra Madre Mountain Range, is rugged and thickly forested. A substantial portion is uncharted and the unexplored hinterlands are home to a rich variety of flora and fauna while others are government reservations. The western area is a sprawling fertile valley hemmed by the Central Cordillera and is criss-crossed by the mighty Cagayan, Siffu, and Magat Rivers. Its mountains rise to a peak of about 8,000 feet and is home to one of the world’s largest remaining low-altitude rainforests with numerous unknown endemic species of flora and fauna and exceptional biological diversity. The area is popularly known as the Northern Sierra Madre Natural Park.

Isabela comprises an aggregate land area of 10,665 square kilometers, representing almost 40 percent of the regional territory. It is the largest province in the region and the second largest province in the country in terms of land area.

Political Subdivision

The province has 35 municipalities and 1,055 barangays and is divided into four congressional districts. Santiago is an independent-component city while Cauayan is a component city. Ilagan is the capital town while Cauayan is the industrial center. 


  1. Alicia
  2. Angadanan
  3. Aurora
  4. Benito Soliven
  5. Burgos
  6. Cabagan
  7. Cabatuan
  8. Cordon
  9. Delfin Albano (Magsaysay)
  10. Dinapigue
  11. Divilacan
  12. Echague
  13. Gamu
  14. Ilagan
  15. Jones
  16. Luna
  17. Maconacon
  18. Mallig
  19. Naguilian
  20. Palanan
  21. Quezon
  22. Quirino
  23. Ramon
  24. Reina Mercedes
  25. Roxas
  26. San Agustin
  27. San Guillermo
  28. San Isidro
  29. San Manuel
  30. San Mariano
  31. San Mateo
  32. San Pablo
  33. Santa Maria
  34. Santo Tomas
  35. Tumauini
  36. Cauayan City
  37. Santiago City

Language/Dialect

The major dialect in Isabela is Ilocano followed by Ibanag, Yogad, and Gaddang. People, especially in the capital and commercial centers, speak and understand English and Pilipino.

Industries

Agriculture is the major industry of the people of Isabela. Farming is highly mechanized as most of the agricultural lands are irrigated. With the presence of the Isabela StateUniversity, joint ventures and other foreign assisted projects are viable while the Magat Dam Tourism Complex contributes to the high productivity in agriculture. Isabela is acknowledged as the hub of trade and commercial activities in the region due to its central location in the region. Furniture making using narra and other indigenous forest materials/products like Gmelina continue to exist. Potential investments are in fisheries and tourism. The reservoir of the Magat Dam is utilized for fishcage operations, particularly tilapia production. Tourism is relatively a new industry being developed in the province especially in the coastal areas. Support services and accommodation facilities are likewise being developed.

Tourist attractions:

Emilio Aguinaldo - in Palanan, Isabela is the historical place where Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo was captured by the American forces, thus ending the Philippine Revolution in 1901. It is accessible by aircraft, pumpboat and trekking thru Sta. Ana, Cagayan, San Mariano/Cauayan and Ilagan, Isabela respectively.

Isabela Museum and Library - The repository and custodian of the rich historical and cultural heritage of the Isabelinos. Features a gallery exhibit & collection of antiques such as artifacts, fossils, ethnographic items, heirloom pieces, visual arts (photographs, paintings, sculpture, graphic arts); historical and cultural dioramas, miniature models of provincial landmarks, among others. It was inaugurated on May 11, 1999 and is housed at the old capitol building in Ilagan. Open from Mondays to Saturdays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.



Bonsai Forest (Sumanget, Dinapigue)  -  The 20,000 hectare area is accessible by land transport from Baler in Aurora Province and by air from Cauayan Airport.




Sta. Victoria Caves and Environmental School at Fuyo National Park  -  It features naturally formed lattices and sparkling rock formations. Visitors are given lectures and allowed to plant their own seedlings, and those enrolled at theEnvironmental School are given certificates. Within the area is the Pinzal Fallsconducive for swimming and other recreational facilities like carabao-drawn carts and horseback riding. The park is 15 kilometers from Ilagan town proper.



Northern Sierra Madre Natural Park (Palanan Rainforest)  - The largest protected area in the country with more than 300,000 hectares of rainforest, and the lowest at 800 feet above sea level. Declared number one in biodiversity and also one of the top 10 biodiversity “hotspots” in the world. Research showed the existence of unknown and unnamed species of flora and fauna. A confirmed habitat of the Philippine Eagle and the Cloud Rat. Its coastal areas host whales and dolphins and other cetaceans. Ideal for scuba diving and other water sports, and a mountaineering/trekking challenge.
Accessible by light aircraft from Cauayan Airport (Cyclone Airways), pumpboat from Sta. Ana in Cagayan and Baler in Aurora Province, and trekking from San Mariano, Cauayan and Ilagan in Isabela. Also accessible by air transport from Tuguegarao City DomesticAirport through CHEMTRAD





Shrine of Our Lady of the Visitation (Guibang, Gamu)  -  Guibang Church, which houses the Miraculous Lady of the Visitacion, is located along the national highway of Gamu, Isabela and frequented by travelers passing along Maharlika Highway. It is now as famous as the Shrine of Piat Basilica Minore as it comes alive in July every year when religious pilgrims come to offer prayers of thanks and to ask for another year of good fortune. The image of the miraculous Lady was canonically crowned on May 26, 1973
 and acknowledged as a National Shrine on January 24-26.





Parish Church of St. Mathias (Tumauini)  - Built in 1753 under Dominican Supervision and completed in 1805, it is an ultra-baroque church unique for its extensive use of baked clay both for wall finishing and ornamentation. Clay bricks come to life in concentric circles on the façade, spiral curves on the finial serpentine reliefs, and many finely molded details – flowers, foliage, surfaces, cherubs, and saints. Its architecture bears Chinese ancestry. This church of stone features a unique cylindrical bell tower that is the only one of its kind in the Philippines. It was declared a National Historical Landmark on February 24, 1989
.





Our Lady of Atocha Church (Alicia)  -  Passing by Angadanan town on February 12, 1805
, Fr. Manuel Mora, OP wrote that “Angadanan has a convent of bricks, though not totally finished. Its church is timber, wood and bamboo. The number of inhabitants is 791.” The church and convent as seen today in the town of Alicia, beautiful and solid, was built by Fr. Tomas Calderon, OP and inaugurated in 1849, with Fr. Francisco Gainza, OP, then vicar of Carig (now Santiago City). Famous for their antique Spanish architectural designs, these churches are found along the national highway and are accessible by land transport.




San Pablo Church  -  Built in 1624, it is said to be the oldest in the province. Its lofty bell tower of six layers including the circular apex made of adobe is the tallest in theCagayan Valley. San Pablo, the oldest town of Isabela
, was founded by Padre de Sto. Tomas, 210 years before Isabela was made a province.




St. Rose de Lima Church (Gamu, Isabela)  
Built in 1726, it is famous for its Spanish architectural design. The feast of the patronal saint of Gamu is celebrated every August 23.




World’s Biggest Butaka  -  
It is 11 feet 4 inches high, 20 feet 8 inches long, and 9 feet 7 inches wide. It weighs 2,368 kilos and was constructed by 25 workers in 29 days.





Magat Dam Tourism Complex (Magat Hydro Electric Power Plant)  -  Asia’s biggest dam project at the time of its construction. It serves the primary function of power generation and irrigation. Its reservoir area of 4,450 hectares has a great potential for water-based recreation like fishing, boating and water skiing, among others. The plant is accessible by passenger jeepney and bus from Santiago City
.




Other Tourist Attractions & Landmarks:





Special Interest:

Trekking, mountaineering, camping and exploration - at Palanan, Dinapigue, Maconacon and Divilacan forest area
Diving and snorkeling - at Dicotcotan Beach
River Cruise - at Palanan River

Crocodile Watching (Crocodylus Mindorensis) - at San Mariano at night.




***********************************************************



Nueva Viscaya


Nueva Vizcaya - Watershed Haven Of The Valley


The history of Nueva Vizcaya could still be reflected from the culture and customs of its early settlers, which included the Ilongots (now called Bugkalots), Igorots, Ifugaos, Isinais, and Gaddangs. The influx of civilization and the infusion of modern technology to the lifestream of the province induced many immigrants from the adjacent provinces, primarily Ilocanos, Tagalogs, Pangasinenses, Kapampangans, among others.

Located about 268 north of Metro Manila, the province is tagged to be the new alternative destination for outdoor and environment enthusiasts. Considered a watershed haven, it is 70 percent forestland. It is strategically bounded by the Sierra Madre Mountain Ranges, Caraballo Mountains, and Cordillera Mountains. It is also the gateway to the Cagayan Valley Region and the Banaue Rice Terraces, eighth Wonder of the World.

History

The province of Nueva Vizcaya was named after the people living in the coast of Mar de Vizcaine in Spain. In the beginning of the 19th century, it was a part of the vast “Territorio de Missiones” of the Spanish-controlled government of Cagayan, covering the eastern half of Northern Luzon from Nueva Vizcaya to Aparri including the Batanes Islands.

On May 24, 1839, Governor Luis Lardizabal, upon the advice of the Alcalde Mayor of Cagayan, issued an order creating Nueva Vizcaya as a separate politico-military province. The order was approved by a Royal Decree on April 10, 1841. Governor Pedro Menchaca was the first appointed governor. The province had its first taste of civil government in 1902 when it was reorganized by the Philippine Commission.

The present territory of Nueva Vizcaya was the result of changes emanating from the formal creation of the province of Isabela in May 1856, wherein a great portion of its northern territory was ceded to the newly born province.

The organization of the province of Ifugao in 1908 further reduced the area of Nueva Vizcaya which was forced to give up its northwest territory. The survey executed by the Bureau of Lands in 1914 caused the diminution of its area once again upon the enactment of Administrative Code of 1917.

Finally, in 1971, with the passage of Republic Act No. 6394, Quirino, then a sub-province of Nueva Vizcaya, was separated from its mother province and made into a regular province. But even with slices of land given away to new emerging territories, the province of Nueva Vizcaya still holds a wide territory today.

Geography

Home of the Isinais, Nueva Vizcaya is located in the northcentral part of Luzon in Region 2. It is surrounded by notable mountain ranges such as the Sierra Madre on the east, Caraballo on the south, and Cordillera on the west. The province has several principal rivers: Magat, Matuno, Marang, Sta. Fe, and Sta. Cruz. All these rivers are tributaries of the Magat River which flows into the Cagayan River. The province is bounded on the north and northeast by the province of Ifugao and Isabela, on the east and southeast by Qurino and Aurora, on the south by Nueva Ecija, and on the west by Benguet and Pangasinan.


Political Subdivision

The province is considered as one congressional district and has 15 municipalities and 274 barangays. Bayombong is the provincial capital while Solano and Kayapa are its commercial and summer capital, respectively.

  1. Alfonso Castaneda
  2. Ambaguio
  3. Aritao
  4. Bagabag
  5. Bambang
  6. Bayombong (Capital)
  7. Diadi
  8. Dupax del Norte
  9. Dupax del Sur
  10. Kasibu
  11. Kayapa
  12. Quezon
  13. Santa Fe
  14. Solano
  15. Villaverde


Language/Dialect

The majority of the people speak Ilocano, comprising 66.9 percent of households


Industries

The province has basically an agricultural economy with commerce, trade, and industry contributing to its growth and development. Among other major economic activities are farming and cattle and swine raising. Primary crops are palay and corn. Minor crops are rootcrops, vegetables, and fruits. The province produces quality onions and vegetables often sold in Metro Manila. Oranges and mangoes are now major crops being exported fresh to Asian countries.

Tourist attractions:

 Dalton Pass  -  rugged piece of terrain where Caraballo Sur reaches south and joins with the Sierra Madre. Being the only access between Pampanga and Cagayan Valley, the pass became the scene of much bloody fighting during the final stages of WW II and bore witness to the death of almost 17,000 Japanese, American, and Filipino soldiers. Commemorative markers stand by the road’s highest point, which also offers a good view into the headlands. The Dalton Pass National Shrine commemorates the death of General Dalton by a sniper’s bullet during WW II. At 3,000 feet above sea level,Dalton Pass is also the gateway to the Cagayan Valley Region and the Ifugao Rice Terraces.



Kirang Pass  -  monument to the gallantry of the Japanese and Filipino soldiers during WW II, located at Barangay Kirang, municipality of Aritao, about 50 kilometers from Bayombong. Built in 1978 by the Rakunsankai Society of Japan, it was recently rebuilt using a black glazed stone, and a memorial was engraved in the tablet in Japanese and English. Also offers a breathtaking view of reforested mountains and hills.


Nueva Vizcaya Capitol Complex  - A study of architectural ingenuity, the complex built by Governor Patricio Dumlao has a park with exotic plant species, concrete benches and sidewalks lighted with giant mercury lamps, a water pool, and a man-made lagoon ideal for rowing the colorful miniboats that are offered for rent and managed by a group of handicapped workers. Located along the national highway, it also houses the provincial offices of government.



People’s Museum & Library  
Adjacent to the St. Dominic Cathedral is this historic building which houses the Novo Vizcayano history and heritage.





St. Dominic Cathedral  -  Preserved to become the first cathedral in the province. Razed twice and rebuilt in the same old site, it is now approximately twice its original size. It maintains its original 18th century Spanish style façade.



St. Vincent Ferrer Church (Dupax del Sur)  -  One of the oldest and biggest churches in North Luzon, constructed in the 16th century as commissioned by two Augustinian priests. Declared by the National Museum as a National Cultural Treasure, it features a belltower that is among the town’s well-preserved Spanish colonial monuments and an ecclesiastical museum. Beside the church is what is acclaimed as the oldest acacia tree (Semanea-saman) in Luzon, planted by settlers from Nueva Ecija in 1880. Reachable in 45 minutes from Bayombong town proper.



Mt. Pulag National Park (Kayapa & Ambaguio)  -  The gateway to Mt. Pulag, the country’s second highest peak at 2,922 feet above sea level. Accessible by foot from the capital town of Bayombong and located west towards the boundary of Nueva Vizcaya and Benguet. The trail in Ambaguio town, 20 km. from Bayombong, promises a different kind of terrain from gradual ascent to rugged path amid mossy forests and cold temperature. Before the peak lies an area of Bonzai forests followed by grasslands with dwarf bamboos. A perfect ecotourism destination, the park is home to rare plants like the pitcher plant and rare animals like the giant cloud rat and whiskered pitta. Mt. Pulagprovides resources to the indigenous Kalanguya, Ibaloy, Kankanaey, and Karao tribes.





Mt. Palali  - 705 meters above sea level, bounded by the municipalities of Quezon and Bayombong. Once the hunting ground of the Bugkalots, Gaddangs, and Ifugaos, this majestic mountain range offers a magnificent view of the low-lying municipalities of the province. Its diptherocarp forest contains a unique diversity of flora and fauna (bonsai forest, wild orchids and flowers). It was once the crash site of a WW II tora-tora plane.



Mt. Ugu  - This beautiful mountain offers trails that pass through communities of theKalanguya tribe and is a favorite mountaineering destination among outdoor enthusiasts



Capisaan Cave System  -  The fifth longest cave system in the country and ranked among of the best, considered a geologist’s paradise due to its varying rare calcite formations and unique stalagmite and stalactite formations. Within its four kilometer length is a subterranean river that doubles as a passageway to the best part of this multi-chambered cave. Part of the cave network are the Lion and Alayan Caves, measuring 4.2 kilometers and relatively new hotspots, located in Brgy. Capisaan,Malabing Valley, Kasibu town.

Tours can be arranged with the Sang-at Salug Mountaineering Club or the Provincial Government of Nueva Vizcaya. The spelunking adventure tour includes an orchard tour at Brgy. Malabing, Kasibu, where the famous perante oranges grow. Kasibu is about one and a half hours from Bayombong.





Heaven Cave (Brgy. Capisaan, Kasibu)  -  Features two big chambers of various calcite formations and a mezzanine of pure white limestones that has to be explored barefoot. Brgy. Capisaan is about four hours by jeep from Solano, on feeder-and-clay-soil road curved out of mountain sides. Other caves in the area are Alayan, Lion, and Sabrina.




Imugan Waterfalls (Sta. Fe, Nueva Vizcaya)  -  35-foot two-level falls with a shallow catch basin of refreshing mountain spring interestingly located between two mountains. Trek over streams and rivers emanating from the falls. Enjoy trekking, exploration, swimming, fishing, and cultural immersion. Accessible by a 30-minute hike from Imugan poblacion which is about 30 minutes from the national highway.



Magpallao Falls  -  Located in Barangay Boliwao, this seven-foot waterfall is one of the favorite picnic destinations among the locals. Experience passing through a hanging bridge to get there.



Villa Margarita Mountain Resort  - It rests on rolling hills and has spring-fed pools and water slides. The Banaue Rice Terraces, eighth World Wonder, is only two hours away. Located some 260 kilometers from Manila along the Maharlika Highway at Barangay Busilac, Bayombong.



Lower Magat Ecotourism Park  - This 1,000-hectare forest park has numerous endemic species of flora and fauna. Within the park are picnic groves, a lagoon with fish cages, coconut plantations, firing range and a campsite.


Other Tourist Attractions & Landmarks:


Special Interest:


Ecotourism Adventure
Trekking/spelunking at Alayan Caves and Malabing Rainforest and Citrus Farms, Kasibu, Nueva Vizcaya. You may also try to explore Mt. Pulog Natural Park from Kayapa or Ambaguio







***********************************************************



Quirino


Quirino - Forest Heartland of Cagayan

Long before its formal creation as an independent province, Quirino was the forest region of the province of Nueva Vizcaya, inhabited by tribal groups known as the Negritos. They roamed the hinterlands and built their huts at the heart of the jungle.

Quirino lies in the southeastern portion of Cagayan Valley. It is situated within the upper portion of the Cagayan River basin and bounded by Isabela on the north, Aurora on the east and southeast, and Nueva Vizcaya on the west and southwest.

The Ilocano dialect is used widely in the lowlands of the province’s various municipalities while Ifugao is predominant in the uplands.

History

Quirino province acquired its juridical personality as a result of the division of the provinces of Nueva Vizcaya and Isabela on June 18, 1966 under RA 4734. It was named in honor of the late President Elpidio A. Quirino.

On June 21, 1969, RA 5554 was enacted, amending RA 4734 and creating the municipality of Cabarroguis, now the capital town of Quirino, which was taken from portions of Diffun, Saguday, and Aglipay.

RA 6394 was passed on September 10, 1971 further amending RA 5554 and separating the sub-province of Quirino from its mother province, Nueva Vizcaya, constituting it into a regular province. Hon. Leonardo B. Perez authored RA 6394.

The province of Quirino was formally established on February 10, 1972 upon the assumption to office of the first elected provincial and municipal officials headed by Dionisio A. Sarandi as Provincial Governor.

On February 25, 1983, Batas Pambansa Blg. 345 was enacted, creating within Quirino the municipality of Nagtipunan, a division of the municipality of Maddela.


Geography

The Sierra Madre Mountain Range provides a natural barrier on the eastern and southern border of the province and the Mamparang Range on the western part. The province is generally mountainous, with about 80 percent of the total land area covered by mountains and highlands. A part of the province’s comparative advantage is its accessibility to the town of Aurora.

Political Subdivision

Quirino has six municipalities, one congressional district and 110 barangays.

  1. Cabarroguis (Capital) 
  2. Saguday
  3. Diffun
  4. Maddela
  5. Nagtipunan
  6. Aglipay

Language/ Dialect

The major dialect is Ilocano, spoken by 71.46 percent of the total populace. Other dialects are Ifugao, Bugkalot, Pangasinense, and Kankanai.

Industries

Agriculture is the main industry with rice and corn as major crops. These supply the demand of neighboring provinces and the metropolis. Banana as well as banana chips are major products sold in Metro Manila and Pampanga. Small scale industries like furniture making, basketry, rattan craft, and dried flower production are prevalent.

Tourist Attractions:



Nagtipunan Town - Home to virgin forests and perfect as an adventure and ecotourism destination, it is being developed as a gateway to Quezon province. Also found in Nagtipunan is the famous “Bimmapor,” a rock formation similar to a sunken ship, of which only the upper decks are protruding from the ground. Nagtipunan is about 54 kilometers from Cabarroguis.

Aglipay Town - A history-laden town that got its name from Fr. Gregorio Aglipay, a priest belonging to the Philippine Independent Church who rebelled against the Spanish colonizers and settled at the banks of the town’s Addalam River

Nagbukel Caves - A dome-shaped mountain frequented by local tourists for picnics during the Holy Week. It is currently being developed by the Lamplighter, a religious sect. Located along the national highway at Diffun, it is four kilometers from Cabarroguis.





Aglipay Caves  - A series of 38 caves, seven of which have been developed as tourist spots. Located in the midst of rolling hills and verdant forests, the caves boast of an underground river and well preserved stalagmites and stalactites. They interlink with each other and run to a depth of 20 meters. Cottages, dorm-type buildings, and picnic huts for overnight tourists are available. The caves are ten kilometers from Cabarroguis.


Governor Rapids  -  Famous for gigantic perpendicular walls of limestone jutting out from one side of the Cagayan River and framing the Sierra Madre Mountain as well as swift turbulent deep blue waters perfect for white river rafting, swimming, and fishing. The riverside offers a suitable picnic ground with a magnificent view of the CagayanRiver. Accessible via Barrio Bisangal, Divisoria Sur, Maddela, some 34 kilometers from Cabarroguis.



Victoria Falls (Barrio Sangbay, Nagtipunan)  - Believed to be one of the sources of the mighty Cagayan River which bisects the valley and ends at Aparri Delta.


Bisangal Waterfalls (Maddela)  -  It rests on a virgin forestland and serves as a sanctuary for endangered species of wildlife. Located within 35 kilometers from Cabarroguis town.



Other  Tourist Attractions & Landmarks:


Special Interest:

Spelunking  -  at the Aglipay Caves and Nagbukel Caves
Trekking  -  the towns of Nagtipunan and Maddela
White river rafting and kayaking  -  at the Governor Rapids










***********************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment