Central Luzon also known as Region III, is an administrative division or region of the Republic of the Philippines, primarily serve to organize the 7 provinces of the vast central plain of the island of Luzon (the largest island), for administrative convenience. The region contains the largest plain in the country and produces most of the country's rice supply (Rice Bowl of the Philippines). Its provinces are: Aurora, Bataan, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Pampanga, Tarlac, and Zambales.
Central Luzon Region is located north of Manila, the nation's capital. Bordering the region are the regions of Ilocos, Cordillera Administrative Region and Cagayan Valley regions to the north; National Capital Region and CALABARZON to the south; and of waters of Manila Bay to the south; South China Sea to the west; and The Philippine Sea to the east.
There are thirteen cities which include: Balanga in Bataan; Malolos, Meycauayan and San Jose del Monte in Bulacan; Cabanatuan, Gapan, Muñoz, Palayan and San Jose in Nueva Ecija; Angeles and San Fernando in Pampanga; Tarlac in Tarlac; and Olongapo in Zambales.Central Luzon produces the most rice in the whole country.Excess rice is delivered and imported to other provinces of the Philippines.
The City of San Fernando, in Pampanga, is the regional center.
Aurora was transferred from Region IV by Executive Order No. 103.
Aurora - Sanctuary Of Nature's Splendor
Beyond the lush forest of the Sierra Madre mountains lies a splendid land so unbelievably rich and untouched Aurora, otherwise known as the “Sanctuary of Nature’s Splendor.”
The Sierra Madre mountain range covers a large part of the province of Aurora. In fact, next to the Aurora coastline, it is the place where flora and fauna are most concentrated. Waterfalls, rivers, crystal clear streams of varying sizes are located within, if not adjacent to, the area of the Sierra Madre mountain. Special interest trips such as mountain climbing, safari, bird watching, ecological studies, or even as simple as picnics could be rolled into one by taking the trails recommended by local nature trekkers in the area.
When the northeast monsoon winds blow and the usual tranquil white beaches are transformed into deathtraps by angry waves, it is time to come to Aurora to ride the waves on a surfboard.
Aurora has a total land area of 308,122 hectares. Its main link to the rest of Luzon is a narrow mountain gravel road twisting across the Sierra Madre mountain ranges between Baler and the municipality of Bongabon in Nueva Ecija.
Aurora is composed of eight municipalities, with Baler as the provincial capital.
Language / Dialect
The province speaks predominantly Tagalog, and in some parts, Ilocano. The working population is fluent in both the English and Filipino languages.
Aurora’s basic economy is agricultural; copra and rice are the principal products. Weaving, especially of buntal hats, is an important cottage industry.
Fishing production can be increased in Casiguran Sound and Dingalan Baybut Baler Bay’s is expected to diminish due to over-fishing and sedimentation.
Aurora has maintained its forest cover but is under serious threats from logging.
Isolation, inaccessibility, and exposure to typhoons have hampered the province’s development.
The province was named after Aurora Quezon, born in Baler and wife of Manuel L. Quezon, the first president of the Philippine Commonwealth.
Aurora was first explored by Juan de Salcedo in 1571 when he reached Casiguran and Baler from Laguna. In 1609, a Franciscan mission was founded in Baler. In 1735, Baler was destroyed by a tidal wave from the Pacific Ocean. The surviving inhabitants decided to move to higher ground. In 1814, the village of Binondo was founded away from the coast.
Baler was a part of Nueva Ecija until 1902, when it was ceded to Tayabas (now Quezon province). During the Commonwealth period, when President Quezon unexpectedly visited Binondo, he named it Aurora in honor of his wife.
In 1951, municipalities now comprising the province were organized into Aurora, then a sub-province of what had become Quezon. The municipality of Aurora was changed to Maria Aurora.
On August 13, 1979, Aurora became a separate province by virtue of Batas Pambansa No. 7.
President Quezon Memorial Park -(Baler). Fenced by concrete material and set on a circular cement platform, it serves as a landmark of Baler, the birthplace of the late President Manuel L. Quezon.
Lt. Commander James Gilmore Marker -(Baler). Across the left side of Baler Catholic Church stands the marker of Lt. Commander James Gilmore, the commander of US Gunboat “Yorktown,” who was captured along with all his men when he came to Baler in April 1899 to relieve the Spanish soldiers besieged in the church of Baler.
Aurora Quezon Marker -(Baler). Built in honor of the wife of first Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon. She was known for her untiring effort in providing social welfare services, especially to the people of Aurora province.
President Quezon’s House - (Baler). A quaint blue wooden cottage situated just across the Baler Church and the Baler Municipal Hall. It was where the Quezon couple, their family, and relatives stayed during their vacations in Baler.
President Quezon’s Resthouse -( Baler). Once the home of President Manuel L. Quezon, situated beside Cemento Beach. Today, only the remains of the house and the cement staircase are left standing after it was severely struck by a super typhoon.
Ditumabo Falls - (San Luis). The crystal clear river of Ditumabo Fallsgushes endlessly, flowing and twisting among countless rocks and boulders. Approximately 140 ft. high, the falls is surrounded by huge cliffs, covered with green shrubbery and vines.
Bane Spring - (San Luis). Around the base of this natural attraction is an abundance of ferns, which surround the pool of water. Six meters wide, the winding Banyu spring lies hidden amidst shrubbery.
Cunayan Falls -(San Luis). One of the more accessible falls in Aurora, and passable to most vehicles. The falls flows into a crystal clear stream tinged only by the blue reflection of the sky. Its mild temperature makes it ideal for baths.
NIA (National Irrigation Administration) Watershed (San Luis) - A small dam built beside a picnic area in San Luis. Water below the dam is clear with greenish reflection of the vegetation surrounding the pond.
Cemento Beach Reef - (Baler). White sand, seashells, and crushed corals could be found along the stretch of Cemento Beach. The area is recommended for professional surfers. It is also suitable for snorkeling and diving.
Dimadimalang Islet - (Baler). This rock formation is actually a small island just a few meters away from the reef shore of Brgy. Cemento. It serves as the point identifying the southernmost tip of Baler Bay.
Digisit Beach - (Baler). The upper landward shore is mostly sand while the water shores are barricades of corals forming a protective reef that prevents strong waves of the Pacific from smashing onto the shore. The area is good for diving, and during calmer months, for snorkeling.
Ampere Beach - (Dipaculao). The beach is covered with smooth rocks. The rocks found here vary in size and are darker in color. Beside this beach is an area called Bunga Point or Ampere Point.
Balete Park - (Ma. Aurora). Home to the giant Balete Tree, which is estimated to be more than a century old.
Pagkain ng Bayan Plateau - (Dilasag). Beautiful scenery with ground orchid formation.
IFRC (Inter-Pacific Resource Corporation) Nurseryand Falls - (Dingalan). A nursery of full-grown mahogany trees near the waterfalls.
Animo Islet - (Baler). Two small but imposing islands could be found south of Dimadimalang Islet. These islets, one smaller than the other, look like an upright bullet with shrubs, small trees, and other greenery growing on its top surface.
Casiguran Sound - (Casiguran). Almost like a lake, Casiguran Sound is a bay nearly enclosed by the Casiguran landmass and the peninsula of San Ildefonso. It is almost unaffected by the monsoon winds of October through February making it a perfect spot for wind surfing.
Sierra Madre Mountains - (Aurora). This is the place where flora and fauna are mostly concentrated. Waterfalls, rivers, and crystal clear streams of varying sizes are located within, if not adjacent to, the area of Sierra MadreMountains. Special interest trips such as mountain climbing, safari, bird watching, ecological studies or picnics rolled into one may be taken easily.
Dingalan Bay View Site - (Dingalan). “Tanawan,” as the place is called, means “view site.” Upon approaching the border of Dingalan and Nueva Ecija, one could pass through an area sloping upwards and its peak is the Dingalan Bay View Site. The area gives a breathtaking view of the town proper and the Blue Bay of Dingalan.
Baler Catholic Church - (Baler). It was the last Spanish garrison of four officers and fifty men sieged by Filipino insurgents on June 27, 1899. This is also where the La Campana de Baler, an ancient high quality bell, was used and later stored as a relic.
Santo Entierro - A glass casket encasing the lying statue of Jesus Christ is displayed in a makeshift wooden chapel. Locals claim that this icon possesses miraculous powers. This indeed is something to see, especially during the Holy Week.
Other Tourist Attractions & Landmarks:
Borlongan Beach - (Dipaculao). Differs from most beaches as its beachfront is almost completely covered with gray pebbles and fist-size stones, all smoothened by the waves that constantly pound its shore.
Tariktik Point - (Dilasag). Ideal for snorkeling. Its natural bonsai formations are fascinating.
Surfing - Recommended activity in Baler, specifically at Sabang Beach; Cement, Baler Cobra Reef; and Charlie’s Point.
Snorkeling - Recommended activity in Baler, specifically at Cemento Beach; Dimadimalangat Islet; Aniao Islet; Lukso-Lukso Islets; and Dagisit Beach.
Mountain Climbing / Nature Trekking - Recommended activities at the DitumaboFalls and Banyu Springs. It would be best to avoid the wet season from June to October, the time of occasional but usually strong typhoons.
Scuba Diving - Recommended activity at Sabang Beach; Borlongan Beach;Cemento Beach; Dimadimalangat Islet; Aniao Islet; and Lukso-lukso Islet. Aurora’s diving sites are best from the months of March to May when waves are relatively calmer.Sabang Beach provides adequate quarters and is located right beside Baler Bay.
Picnics - Going for a picnic in the valleys of Aurora could be a delightful activity for tourists. One could pick out a nice area in the IFRC Nursery and Falls where a mantelpiece could be set in between a twin falls, and enjoy sumptuous broiled delights from the sea and fresh tropical fruit. Other mountainous areas are filled with tiny falls, springs, and rivulets where picnics are ideal.
Bataan - History Hub Of Central Luzon
Discover the magic of the Philippines’ Third Region with this amazing historical and cultural province, only an hour by ferryboat across the bay from Manila. Until recently not a traditional tourist destination, Bataan is now proving to be a tourist haven boasting a multitude of exciting places to visit, and interesting things to do. The province has much to offer – a rich culture and history, the beauty of unspoilt beaches, and a warm hospitality that is truly Filipino.
Bataan is the peninsula in the western part of Luzon that shields the Manila Bay on its south and east from the South China Sea on its west. Zambales and Pampanga form its boundaries on the north.
Balanga City, 124 km. from Manila, is the provincial capital. The twelve towns lying in its coast integrade 238 barangays and 11 cultural minorities or sitios.
Language / Dialect
Tagalog is the main language and is widely used, followed by Pampango and Ilocano. English is used mostly as the medium of transaction in business.
Bataan remains basically an agricultural province in spite of the rapid industrialization during the last decade. Mariveles is the site of an export-processing zone that accounts for heavy industry in the province. Cattle and carabao fattening, hog raising, and poultry industry, especially broilers and ducks and egg production, are some of the promising livelihood programs in the province.
Bataan was established in 1754 by Governor General Pedro Manuel Arandia out of territories belonging to Pampanga and the corregimiento of Mariveles, which at the time included Maragondon in Cavite across the bay.
The province had had more than its share of significant historical events. In 1647, Dutch Naval Forces attempting to invade the country perpetrated the Abucay massacre in one of its towns. In the late 1700s, the dreaded Chinese private Limahong used Lusong Point on the western sides as the landing place to launch his conquest of Luzon. In the Philippine Revolution of 1896, Bataan joined the other provinces in Luzon, which revolted against Spanish rule.
It was during World War II, however, that Bataan attained notoriety that would find it a place in the annals of world history. Under heavy aircraft and artillery shelling from the invading Japanese forces, the beleaguered Filipino-American troops valiantly defended this last bastion until the historic “Fall of Bataan” on April 9, 1942.
First Line of Defense Marker - (Layac). Site of the first strong defense line of the combined forces of the 71st division of the American forces, 31st and 26th Infantry Regiment, in January 1942.
Dambana ng Kagitingan - Atop Mt. Samat in Pilar town, it was built in memory of the soldiers of WWII.
Zero Km. Death March Marker - Site of the start of the Death March in Bagac. A similar Death Marker can be found in Mariveles.
General King Marker - (Lamao). Site of General Edward King, Jr.’s first attempt to surrender Bataan into the hands of the enemy in his effort to save the lives of his men who were starved and sick due to the delay of supplies from the U.S.
Surrender Site Marker - (Balanga City). Found in the compound of Balanga Elementary School, it is the site of the formal surrender of Bataan.
Pilar Flaming Sword - (Panilao, Pilar). A symbol of Filipino courage and gallantry in the face of adversary and external threats to the nation’s democracy and peace.
Philippine-Japanese Friendship Tower - (Bagac). Symbol of a post-WW II period of reconciliation, peace, and friendship between the once warring nations.
Dunsulan Falls - An enchanting spectacle in the heart of a forested hill behind the famous Mt. Samat in Pilar. Ideal site for picnic and swimming.
Pasukulan Falls - (Abucay). A natural wonder in the valley of Mt. Natib which remains unexplored and unspoiled. Fresh vegetation abound. Ideal for picnics.
Dinalupihan Natural Parks - (Dinalupihan). An unspoiled forest area ideal for picnics and camping activities with facilities for irrigation and game hunting. The surrounding area is great for day hikes and trekking.
Mt. Natib - (Orani). A dormant volcano rising to 1253 meters that provides a commanding view of the surrounding towns. It offers mountain climbers and nature lovers not only the pleasant cool mountain air but also a lush growth including exotic plant species and rare wildlife.
Mt. Silangan - (Morong). Boasts of an 80-foot high waterfall that cascades to a pool of refreshing cool water.
Mt. Samat Shrine - in Pilar with a huge memorial cross standing at about 311-ft high. The historic cathedral and its belfry in Balanga used by the Japanese to fire cannons aimed at Mt. Samat.
Balon Anito - (Mariveles). Called the “dead volcano,” it is frequented by elderly people who go to soak their feet in the water of the therapeutic hot spring at the mouth of the volcano.
Sibul Spring - (Abucay). A potential prime tourist destination in the province boasting sulfuric swimming pools and a wide area for outdoor recreation. Its main attraction is the natural spring believed able to provide muscle pain relief.
Church of Abucay (Abucay, Bataan) - The spiritual ministration of Abucay was entrusted to the Dominicans in 1588 (414-year-old church constructed in 1587) . A fierce battle between the Dutch invaders and the Pampango defenders was fought in this court on June 23, 1647. Nearly two hundred Pampangos were put to death, and forty others, together with Spanish Alcalde mayor and two Dominican priests were taken prisoners to Batavia. The present church was badly damaged by the earthquake of 16 September 1852. One of the earliest printing press in the Philippines was operated in this town, where as early as 1610, Rev. Francisco Blancas de San Jose, O.P, and Don Tomas Pinpin printed several books in Spanish and Tagalog.
Balanga Catholic Church Belfry (Balanga, Bataan) - The spiritual ministration of Balanga formerly belonged to Abucay. Balanga became an independent missionary center in 1739. Rev. Benito Rivas, O.P., strengthened this church by fortifying its wall. Rev. Juan Antonio Vicente, O.P, roofed it with galvanized iron and decorated the interior. Rev. Mariano Ma. Minano, O.P., from 1838-1845 constructed the arch of the choir loft and made the baptismal font out of granite from Mariveles. The parochial ministration under the Filipino clergy started with Rev. Mariano Sarili, June 21, 1898. The church was used as the site for Japanese artillery bombardment of Mt. Samat where Filipino and American forces gave their last stand during the last world war.
Church of Hermosa (Hermosa, Bataan) - The spiritual ministration of Hermosa known before as Llana Hermosa belonged formerly to Orani. Llana Hermosa, as composed of Mabuyan and Maboco, became an independent missionary center in 1717. While the City of Manila was being occupied by the British, the Dominican Corporation held there its provincial chapters in 1763. The church was destroyed by fire several times.
Church of Orani (Orani Bataan) - Orani became an independent missionary center in 1714. The church and convent of Orani, repaired in 1792 and 1836, were badly damaged by the earthquake of September 16, 1852. They were built and improved under the supervision of the Rev. Bartolome Alvarez del Manzano, O.P. in 1891. They were destroyed by fire on March 16, 1938 which razed about three fourths of Orani including the town hall, the Tercena, former Bataan High School and later Orani Elementary School building. The church was reconstructed in September 1938.
Church of Orion (Orion Bataan) - The spiritual ministration of Orion belonged formerly to Abucay. Orion became an independent missionary center in 1667. Its first minister was Rev. Domingo Perez. The church and the convent were badly damaged by the earthquake of September in 1856, and were repaired in 1854. The Rev. Ulpiano Herrero constructed the beautiful sacristy and marble altars. In this town Cayetano Arellano, eminent Filipino jurist and statesman and first Filipino chief Justice of the Supreme Court was born on March 2, 1847. Francisco Baltazar (Balagtas), author of Florante at Laura, lived in this town from July 22, 1842 to Feb. 20, 1862.
Church of Samal (Samal Bataan) - The spiritual ministration of Samal was entrusted to the Dominicans in 1596. The town was attacked by Dutch invaders in April 1647 but the local garrison of Pampanga under the command of Alejo Aguas compelled the Dutch forces to retreat. The church and the convent built by the Rev. Jeromino Belen, O.P. were ruined during the Dutch invasion. In 1896 the church was burned by the Katipuneros to drive out their enemies in the convent. The Rev. Justo Quesada rebuilt the church and convent in 1903.
Other Churches in Bataan:
Bataan Nuclear Power Plant (Bagac, Bataan - This is the only nuclear power plant in the country. Operation of the plant
Bataan Economic Zone (Mariveles, Bataan) - The Bataan Economic Zone is a major industrial initiative that takes advantage of the area's easy accessibility to ocean-going vessels. Other major economic complexes are the Petrochemical Industrial Park, Bataan Technology Park, Hermosa Economic Zone and the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority.
Bataan Export Processing Zone (Mariveles, Bataan) - The country’s largest export processing zone, where hundreds of foreign and local companies produce items for export.
Other Tourist Attractions & Landmarks:
History Tour - Bataan Peninsula was the scene of bitter fighting between American-Filipino forces and the invading Japanese forces. On April 9, 1942, Bataan defenders surrendered. About 37,000 U.S. and Filipino soldiers were captured. Explore the story of our World War II heroes on a two-day journey into history. What to see: The marker in Lamao where Gen. Edward P. King, Jr. did the initial surrender. Mariveles to retrace the steps of the infamous Death March starting at the Zero Marker. Retrace the jungle hospitals where the American and Filipino nurses served the sick and wounded soldiers. Mt. Samat Shrine in Pilar with a huge memorial cross standing at about 311-ft high. The historic cathedral and its belfry in Balanga used by the Japanese to fire cannons aimed at Mt. Samat.
Water Sports - Jetski or windsurf at Bagac near the white sandy beaches of Montemar, Sun Moon, Fajardo's and Morning Breeze Beach Resort.
Mountain Climbing (Orani, Bataan) - Mt. Natib. Rising at an elevation of 8,000 ft. above sea level, this potentially active volcano offers mountain climbers and nature lovers not only a pleasantly cool mountain air but also a luxuriant growth including some rare plant species and wildlife abundant in the area. It offers a commanding vista of the surrounding provinces. Reaching the mountain's summit takes about four hours. A trail shelter is available for overnight trekkers.
Bulacan - Land Of Heroes
Feel the heart and soul of the Philippines in Bulacan. Its history and tradition, its land, its culture, and its people, live and breathe Filipino. Truly a melting pot of the past and the present, the old and the new, the countryside and the urbane – that is Bulacan.
The province is noted as the land of heroes. Bulacan is the home province of some of the nation’s celebrated heroes: Francisco Baltazar (Balagtas), “The Prince of Filipino Poets,” Marcelo H. Del Pilar, “The Great Propagandist,” and Gregorio del Pilar, “The Hero of Tirad Pass.” It is reputed for beautiful women, progressive cooperatives, small and medium scale industries. It is known for excellent craftsmanship as in its jewelries, leather crafts, and garments.
The province has emerged into a reputable resort haven of Luzon. Just a few minutes north of Manila by car, Bulacan resorts provide an accessible and welcome respite from the pressures of city life.
The province’s name is derived from the Tagalog word “bulak” meaning cotton, which was its former principal product.
Bulacan started with small fishing settlements along the coast of Manila Bay and expanded into the interior with the coming of the Spaniards. These settlements formed the nuclear of towns that were founded from 1572 (Bulacan and Calumpit) to 1750 (San Rafael). In 1848, the town of San Miguel was annexed to Bulacan from Pampanga.
Bulacan was one of the first eight provinces to rise against Spanish rule. The first phase of the Philippine Revolution ended with the signing of the Pact of Biak-na-Bato in San Miguel in 1897 between the Filipinos and the Spaniards, after which Aguinaldo was exiled to Hong Kong. The second phase saw the drafting of the constitution of the first Philippine republic by the Malolos Congress at Barasoain Church in 1898. The subsequently established republic had its capital at Malolos until President Emilio Aguinaldo transferred it to San Isidro, Nueva Ecija in 1899 when the Filipino-American war broke out.
When the Americans established a civil government in the Philippines, they held the first election in the country in the town of Baliuag, Bulacan on May 6, 1899.
Bulacan is the home province of some of the nation’s celebrated heroes: Francisco Baltazar (Balagtas), “The Prince of Filipino Poets,” Marcelo H. Del Pilar, “The Great Propagandist,” and Gregorio del Pilar, “The Hero of Tirad Pass.
Bulacan is in the southwestern part of Central Luzon. It is bounded on the north by Nueva Ecija, on the east by Aurora and Quezon, on the west by Pampanga, and on the south by Rizal, Metro Manila, and the Manila Bay.
Bulacan consists of 21 towns & 3 cities with Malolos City as the provincial capital (5 districts with 569 barangays).
The language used in the province is predominantly Tagalog. Other dialects used by the townfolks are Waray, Ilocano, Bicolano, and Kapampangan.
The province of is veering away from being an agricultural area and
becoming an industrialized one. Its proximity to Manila gives it the advantage of
being a favored site of industrial establishments, including leather tanning, cement bag making, ceramic textiles, food processing, shoe making, and many others.
The majority of the rural areas, however, are still dependent on agriculture for their livelihood. Rice is the principal crop, followed by corn, vegetables, and fruits.
Marcelo H. Del Pilar Shrine - (Bulacan, Bulacan). Shrine and birthplace of the country's great propagandist and hero.
Kakarong de Sili Shrine - (Pandi). A battle site where 3,000 Katipuneros died in the hands of Spanish soldiers.
Biak-na-Bato - (San Miguel). The rest of freedom fighters during the Philippine-Spanish war.
Bagbag Bridge - (Calumpit, Bulacan) Site of the longest battle between the Americans and Filipinos led by Gen. Gregorio del Pilar which took place in April 25, 1899. The bridge still standing serves as a reminder of the valor displayed by the Filipinos who triumphed against the American forces.
Casa Real Shrine - (Malolos). Served as the National Museum and the National Printing Press during the First Philippine Republic
Puning Cave - (Dona Remedios Trinidad, Bulacan) A magnificent and well-preserved cave in Barangay Bayabas, this cave also has a spring running down from a mountain.
Tumutulo Falls - (Dona Remedios Trinidad, Bulacan) Located at Barangay Bayabas, this breathtaking waterfall drops from a height of fifteen meters into an attractive setting of white stones and marble and cascades further into an old stone formation called Simbahan ni Lapud.
Verdivia Falls - Dona Remedios Trinidad, Bulacan) Located in Barangay Talbak, this splendid waterfall is an ideal venue for group picnics and outings.
Bakas - Norzagaray, Bulacan) Located on this site are giant limestones at the core of a river, formed like giant footprints. Townspeople claim these were actually the footprints of legendary giant Bernardo Carpio.
Hilltop - (Norzagaray, Bulacan) Also known as the Baguio City of Bulacan, this place mesmerizes tourists with a scenic view of the Sierra Madre Range. It is host to the Angat River Hydroelectric Plant of the National Power Corporation.
Aguinaldo Cave - (San Miguel, Bulacan) Biak-na-Bato - At the lower mouth of the cave, one can sit on the rocks and cool off with naturally chilled air from an underground cold spring. The cave is entered via a higher orifice, and one must clamber down to get to the water's edge. A ten-minute boat ride into this eerie underground river leads to a stalactite-accented cavern where, at its center, a smooth triangular block of marble juts above the surface of the clear emerald water. Local lore claims it to be la mesa de Aguinaldo, the table on which Aguinaldo signed the historic peace treaty.
Bahay Paniqui (House of Bats) - (San Miguel, Bulacan) Biak-na-Bato - On the other side of the river along the left trail is a cave, probably the largest in the Biak-na-Bato area, that houses myriads of fruit bats. Visitors are warned against disturbing the bats with their flashlight beams and flash photography, but are encouraged to witness the amazing flight of the bats out of the caves at sunset.
Biak-na-Bato Nature Park - (San Miguel, Bulacan) Biak-na-Bato, nature park located 12 kilometers from the municipality of San Miguel de Mayumo, provides a unique eco-adventure steeped in history. It is a mountain gorge sliced by the Balaong River that flows from Calumpit in Bulacan and empties into Candaba Swamp in Pampanga. The river trail winds through Aguinaldo's former natural fortress and leads to caves of natural and historical significance, observation outposts and ruins of stone fortifications. Near the end of the trail is a stone cliff with carvings, possibly over a hundred years old.
Cuarto-Cuarto Cave - (San Miguel, Bulacan) Biak-na-Bato - A cave with many rooms or cuartos, it is accessed by crawling through a low entrance with a downward slope about seven meters long. Swifts and swallows nest in the nooks and crevices of this cave. These birds' nests are harvested and used as the main ingredient on the popular Chinese bird's nest soup.
Madlum Caves - (San Miguel, Bulacan) The caves are characterized by three grand portals where stalactites and stalagmites abound -and leads to a 50-meter long cavern. Large pinnacled vertical rocks abound on the banks of nearby Madlum River. To the right of the first portal is the statue of Mother Mary to whom residents pay homage on a regular basis. It is believed to be the place where St. Michael, the town's patron saint, was found. This place which offers a scenic view delights excursionists and nature lovers.
Sibul Spring - (San Miguel, Bulacan) The crystal-clear water that springs from this natural wonder is famous for its medicinal effect.
Tilandong Falls - (San Miguel, Bulacan) A natural fall which is now tapped as a source of electric power as well as for irrigation purposes
Barasoain Church Historical Landmarks History Museum - Focuses on preserving the fruits of the Philippine Revolution as well as freedom and the Filipinos' heritage of democracy.
Barasoain Church Ecclesiastical Museum - Houses a collection of religious artifacts from all over Bulacan.
Hiyas ng Bulacan Museum - (Malolos). Houses a collection of valuable relics and mementos, articles, documents, and handicrafts from Bulacan during the period of the Philippine Revolution.
Malolos Cathedral - (Malolos). Served as the presidential quarters of General Emilio Aguinaldo, President of the First Philippine Republic
San Rafael Church - (San Rafael). Site of the bloody battle between Filipinos and Spanish forces wherein the blood that cherished the church was ankle-deep.
Sta. Monica Church - (Angat, Bulacan) One of the most beautiful churches in the Philippines and also one of the oldest, estimated to be 400 years old. It displays a marvelous baroque architecture with its interior replicating the famous Sistine Chapel.
St. John the Baptist Church - (Calumpit, Bulacan) Built in 1572, the St. John the Baptist Church is the oldest church in Bulacan. Constructed under the supervision of Augustinian priest Diego Vivar - Ordonez, the church has been a mute witness to the Filipinos' struggle against Spanish, American and Japanese rule. Inside the church is a tunnel that, as legend would have it, was used by priests during the Spanish regime to keep gold, religious statues and ornate jewelry hidden from the sight of treasure hunters. It is the birthplace of Christianity in the province.
Church of Hagonoy/ St. Anne's National Shrine - (Hagonoy, Bulacan) Church of Hagonoy (Bulacan) – Originally a chapel under the parish of Calumpit, it became a church in 1731 with Fr. Juan Albarran, an Augustinian as the first curate. It was rebuilt in 1871 by Fr. Ignacio Manzanares. The church was taken over by the Filipino clergy in 1896 with Fr. Clemente Garcia as the first Filipino curate. He was succeeded by Fr. Dr. Mariono Sevilla from 1902-1922, Fr. Exequiel Morales, 1922-1936. Fr. Celestino Rodriguez, curate since 1936 improved the church assisted by the Congregation of the Religiosas de la Virgen Maria (R.V.M.). It made into a national shrine to honor the mother of the Blessed Virgin, St. Anne. This is the only place in the country where the relics of Sts. Anne and Joaquin, parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary, are venerated.
Marilao Catholic Church - Church of Marilao (Bulacan) – Originally a chapel, Fr. Vicente de Talavera erected the first church on 21 April 1796 simultaneously with the founding of the town and parish of Marilao. St. Michael the Archangel was enthroned patron saint. A bigger church was constructed in 1848 and was finished in 1868. It was gutted by fire during the Fil-American War. The church was reconstructed to its original size in 1922. Restoration was fully done in 1967 under the supervision of Fr. Jose M. Salas.
Church of Meycauayan - Church of Meycuayan (Bulacan) – The first church was destroyed by a typhoon in 1588. The construction of the present church was started shortly after 1668 when the town was moved from Lagado to the present site. Reverend Francisco Gasuena, OFM, who built the belfry in 1800, preached the gospel in China for six years, and was expelled from that kingdom due to opposition to his religious teachings. He served this parish for 31 years and died here on Nov. 18, 1831. The convent and church were seriously damaged by the typhoon of 1882.
Obando Church - Church of Obando (Bulacan) – The church of Obando was built by the Franciscan Order headed by Rev. P. Manuel de Olivencia, the first curate of Obando on 29 April 1754. The second church was destroyed by heavy shelling during the 1945 liberation. It was rebuilt for 2 years through the help of parishioners under Rev. P. Marcos C. Punzol. Obando town fiesta is celebrated every 17th - 19th of May in honor of San Pascual Baylon, Santa Clara de Asis, patroness of fishermen & farmers, and La Concepcion de Nuestra or known as Virgen de Salambao. This church is the venue of the famous fertility dance - a three-day dancing where childless couples appeal for heavenly intercession to the Virgin Mary.
Church of Quingua - (Plaridel, Bulacan) – This was the first church built in this old town by the Augustinian mission from 1580-1595. It was transferred to the town proper in 1605. The church was improved in 1722. The first Filipino parish priest Rev. P. Victorino Lopez joined the revolutionary movement as a leader under the command of Kapitan Jose Serapio. The convent was made the American headquarters in 1898.
San Miguel Catholic Church - San Miguel, Bulacan) More than 200 years old; built by the Augustinian friars
Sta. Maria Church - Church of Sta Maria (Bulacan) – The town of Sta Maria de Caboan was founded in 1602 and called San Miguel till 1613. Its first minister was the Rev. Antonio de la Llane. A church, built in 1613 by the Rev. Gerocino Vasquez, was destroyed during the Chinese uprising of 1639. Another church completed in 1669, succumbed to earthquakes in 1880. In 1891, the Rev. Leopa
Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes - (San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan) This shrine is an exact replica of the Lourdes Grotto of France. It features a mock hill Calvary where life-sized statues depict the passion and death of Jesus Christ. Local and foreign tourists flock to this place during Lenten season.
Angat Hydroelectric Plant - (Angat, Bulacan) One of the country's largest dams, it supplies potable water and energy to Metro Manila and nearby areas. It facilitates fishing and boating in a man-made lagoon and hunting in the nearby area.
Bustos Dam - (Bustos, Bulacan) The dam is one of the longest sector-gates in the world and serves as the huge reservoir of the Angat Hydroelectric plant at Barrio Hilltop. The dam was built in 1922 and serves as the source of electric power in the province and Metro Manila. It features a cool picnic haven with an inspiring scenery.
C & B Orchid Farm - (Calumpit, Bulacan) A vast orchid plantation showcasing 300,000 different varieties and species. The farm is beautifully landscaped into a colorful mini-park with picnic sheds, pebbled walkway, benches and a chapel. The farm also features different farm implements invented by the farm owner, Don Isidro Bonifacio
Ipo Dam - (Norzagaray, Bulacan) The place is a water impounding dam made famous by its name synonymous with gallantry, bravery and heroism. It is used as a reservoir for the La Mesa Dam which distributes water to Metro Manila residents. The green virgin forest and sky blue water make Ipo Dam an attractive place to visit.
Pulilan Butterfly Haven - (Pulilan, Bulacan) Located along San Francisco Street, this butterfly sanctuary is also a perfect place for nature lovers where they can witness the butterfly’s fascinating life cycle, enjoy lush greenery which provide an ideal habitat for the butterflies and experience nature in an oasis of beauty and tranquility with butterflies flitting from one flower to another.
Other Tourist Attractions & Landmarks:
Apo Iru Gatbuca - (Calumpit, Bulacan) Known as "Pottery Country", Apo Iru Gatbuca is the biggest producer of pots in the whole of Bulacan. So vast is the pot-making industry that most residents make their living out of pottery. Local artisans transform an ordinary mass of clay into an exquisite work of art - some of which are even made into glazed decorative ceramics.
Baras Bakal - (Angat, Bulacan) A stone cave which was the first choice of the Katipuneros as a hideout before they finally selected Biak-na-Bato. It is now a popular picnic place.
Mash Gas Flame - Angat, Bulacan) A rich flaming well located in Brgy. Poblacion
Mt. Lumot - Dona Remedios Trinidad, Bulacan) One of DRT’s municipal parks, this mountain offers a wide array of eco-tourism activities like rock climbing, camping, mountain biking, mountain climbing, bushwalking, bird watching or simply enjoying the majestic view and landscape of the Sierra Madre Mountains.
Sergio Bayan - (Calumpit, Bulacan) The place produces export-quality religious products and icons. Tourists flock to the shop area to witness workers transform an ordinary mass of clay into an exquisite work of art.
National Manpower Youth Center - (Guiguinto, Bulacan) A center formed by the national government to help out-of-school youth by training them for jobs and livelihood projects.
Hanging Bridge - (Marilao, Bulacan) A wooden bridge connecting Brgy. Lambakin and Brgy. Sta. Rosa. This place offers a scenic view of the surrounding area.
Pinagrealan Cave - (Norzagaray, Bulacan) The subterranean network of caverns which extends for more than one kilometer was the site of secret meetings of the Filipino revolutionary forces during the war against Spain in 1896.
Pug-pog River - (Norzagaray, Bulacan) A river with clear water coming directly from the Sierra Madre Mountains
Pandi Mineral and Bath Spring Resort - (Pandi, Bulacan) This natural attraction is famous for its mineral water which is found to have medicinal and curative effects.
Aroma Beach - (Hagonoy, Bulacan) A sandy beach with aromatic plants, it is frequented by local picnickers during summer months.
Liputan Islands - (Meycauayan, Bulacan) Surrounded by fishponds, these islands are accessible only through water transportation
Lakbay-Kasaysayan - A historical tour experience for the youth to remember and appreciate the beginnings of Philippine history and constantly relive true Filipino values.
Lakbay-Kongreso - A walk tour of the site of the 1st Constitutional Convention that occurred in the historic town of Malolos. Side Tour: Enseymada and Inipit Making.
Lakbay-Kagitingan - A tour of the different battles sites of the Philippine Revolution in Bulacan. Side Tour: Pottery Making.
Lakbay-Republika - A tour of the historic sites of the three Republics. Side Tour: Pastillas/Minasa Making.
Lakbay-Kalikasan - Bulacan is close to the pristine mountains of Sierra Madre that extends its natural beauty to its eastern towns.
Pasyal-Tanawin - A day-tour of the NPC Water Reserve in Norzagaray.
Lakbay-Kweba. A 3-day eco-tour in Biak-na-Bato for nature lovers.
Akyat-Bundok - A 3-day tour experience on top of Sierra Madre Mountain.
Baybay-Ilog - A 3-day river tour on the coastal areas of Bulacan.
Lakbay-Kalinangan - Bulacan is a haven of colorful festivals, religious traditions, and artistic excellence. Its cultural heritage provides tourists a meaningful and exciting experience of the Bulacan way of life.
Lakbay-Simbahan - A Holy Week tour on the religious sites in Bulacan.
Lakbay-Fiesta - A seasonal day tour experience of the exciting fiestas in Bulacan.
Lakbay-Kaluto - A culinary tour of the various cuisines and delicacies in Bulacan.